I discovered something interesting about my knitting

Lady_of_Roses

I've knit off and on for more years than I can actually place. I'm ok at it, but much better at crochet for the most part. Anyhow.. ;)

I've discovered that if I'm doing something in the round (all knit stitches), I work at a different gauge than if I'm doing something flat (alternate knit and purl rows)! My purls are bigger than my knit stitches! I can _mostly_ fix it by going down one needle size on my purl rows, but it had never occurred to me before that it would make a difference if I did something in the round vs flat would make my gauge change!

I just thought I'd share in case anyone else was having gauge frustrations! :)

I've heard that your knitting gauge in the round and flat aren't the same. When you have a project that's knitted in the round, doing a gauge swatch in flat knitting will not match when you do it in the round.

I've heard that your knitting gauge in the round and flat aren't the same. When you have a project that's knitted in the round, doing a gauge swatch in flat knitting will not match when you do it in the round.

Yup, that's what it looks like. Of course the real kicker is when you have to stop going in the round to do a split (for armholes) and have to work back and forth... gotta hit that gauge again! :huh

Archived