Pineapple shawl in microspun ?

bheath

Question

I have a commission to make the pinapple shawl in microspun. My skill level is pretty high, don't have any trouble following patterns (or figuring out when there is a mistake in the pattern ha, ha!) so I'm pretty confident. My question is what hook size would you that have made the shawl or worked with this yarn recommend and how much yarn should I estimate? She bought 10 skeins so I should have plenty to work with. My tension is pretty average and I use Bates hooks.

Funny side note, she crochets and she's my best customer!

6 answers to this question

I would probably look on the package of yarn itself. They usually list a recommend hook size for the yarn. On the LionBrand website it lists this info about microspun yarn.

Crochet: 13 sc + 16 rows = 4" (10 cm) with H-8 (5mm) hook

Hope that helps!

:hook

I guess it depends on your tension as well as the pattern - I felt like my "h" TOTC hook created to firm/thick of a fabric with microspun so I went up a size to "I" and still felt like maybe I could've went up one more time. I would recommend a swatch to see what you like best.

I'm thinking a "J" hook myself. Originally she wanted me to make the vest off the Lion Brand website that's listed under the microspun and that is the hook size for it. I've never worked with this yarn before, but I think it's going to have a beautiful drape.

I have used a g hook on this yarn and I hated it the entire time. I don't know if it is because of the hook or what, but that yarn splits a lot.

Archived