More yarn substitution ?'s

The project I am doing

Here's the link.... http://www.naturallycaron.com/projects/archena/archena_1.html

calls for a yarn with this gauge...4"=22 stitches on size 6 needles

I like this yarn but it is gauged differently.....Gauge: 22 (Stitches per 4.0 inches/10cm.) Needle Sizes: 5 U.S. (3.75mm)

So my questions are how to do I figure out if they are comparable? and why the heck isn't there an industry standard?

Well, since I am trying to make a skirt, I would hate to get it done and have it not fit. I would probably cry :nod: I'm very much the novice crocheter and am worried that I've bit off more than I can chew.

I don't even know the difference between a size 5 and 6 needle is.

Well, since I am trying to make a skirt, I would hate to get it done and have it not fit. I would probably cry :nod: I'm very much the novice crocheter and am worried that I've bit off more than I can chew.

I don't even know the difference between a size 5 and 6 needle is.

The size difference is milimeters. Size 5 is 5mm and 6 is 6 mm. 6 mm is about a H (US) depending whether or not you use Susan Bates or Boye hooks.

Looking at the skirt pattern you referenced the small square is a two round granny square. When you are finished with the two rounds, measure the size of the square. It should equal 2 inches. If it is smaller, then you will need to use a larger hook than the suggested I (US) hook. If it is larger then you will need to use a smaller hook.

Going back to your original question. About what size yarn to use for gauge, the Natually Caron blended bamboo yarn. It is about the same thickness as RedHeart SuperSaver and Caron which are acrylic.

Different fibers produce different thicknesses and textures too.

It's best NOT to go by the gauge given on the label: it is generic. You didn't stitch that swatch so it does not apply to you: it is a guideline only: like the mpg given by car makers. If you want to substitute one yarn for another, you have to take the time to make a swatch yourself and see what gauge results when you are stitching it. Also, remember some yarns, Red Heart Super Saver for example, will feel really stiff and rough until they are laundered, at which point they soften up very nicely.

The project I am doing

Here's the link.... http://www.naturallycaron.com/projects/archena/archena_1.html

calls for a yarn with this gauge...4"=22 stitches on size 6 needles

I like this yarn but it is gauged differently.....Gauge: 22 (Stitches per 4.0 inches/10cm.) Needle Sizes: 5 U.S. (3.75mm)

So my questions are how to do I figure out if they are comparable? and why the heck isn't there an industry standard?

Here is a link to the yarn standards chart. http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

The standards use a number system. The Caron Spa yarn is a 3 weight (this info is not on Caron's website, but an online store I found listed it as a category "3 light" yarn).

If the yarn you want to use is a "3" weight, which I think is also called a "DK" weight, I would think you would be fine.

Here is a link to the yarn standards chart. http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

The standards use a number system. The Caron Spa yarn is a 3 weight (this info is not on Caron's website, but an online store I found listed it as a category "3 light" yarn).

If the yarn you want to use is a "3" weight, which I think is also called a "DK" weight, I would think you would be fine.

That's not really a guarantee though... Both RHSS and Caron SS are labeled as a "4", but Caron SS is thinner. Like other people have said, I'd suggest making yourself a gauge swatch and checking it out. :)

That's a neat skirt, I bet it would look really nice in a solid color.

I really agree that using the stated yarn size can get you close, but you really have to swatch to be sure. That pattern is good because it gives you gauge for the squares and the edging, the 2 component parts of the skirt. (And schematics and stitch diagrams---yay!)

Also, the fiber and texture of the yarn make a difference in how it drapes, fits, and hangs. Spa is a very limp, smooth, silky yarn with just a hint of stretch. It is very lightweight as well. It has a very different feel than any 100% acrylic or cotton that I can think of. What type of yarn are you planning to substitute?

I haven't been ignoring this thread but between renovations and my sick infant.....I seem to have lost the ability to think. I will get back ty= answer the ? put up by you all.

I haven't bought any yarn yet so i can't make a swatch, I turned to you more knowledgeable ladies before I spent monies I don't really have. I don't really have anything picked out yet as I wasn't really sure where to start but I did stumble on knit picks cotlin yarn that may work andf won't break the bank.

crying baby and hyper 4 y/olds so i will have to come back latewr

Archived