Crochet plant holder?

I have a quick question for you. I am thinking of making (crochet of course) a plant hanger for a spider plant I have in my office. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions? Would cotton be best so it doesn't stretch? :think Or would a bit of stretch be just fine and it will settle in time? :think I currently have it in a wicker hanging basket and the handles (straps?) are starting to give way (one of the three pieces has come undone). I don't want to come to the office one morning and find my spider plant everywhere (especially not on top of my printer - where it is above right now :eek )

Macrame.

I am sure there are crochet patterns around, but Macrame plant holders used to be a very hot ticket....in the '70's I think?

I love them, I nearly bought this crazy Macrame owl at the thrift store. It was totally a one of a kind chunk of retro goodness.

You know, I have been wondering if there was such a pattern out there somewhere myself. I don't currently have any plants that need hanging, but I know I will one day. Yes, I've seen those macrame ones from way back when, but I don't know how to do macrame...although I'm sure I could learn. I think acrylic yarn would be fine since that's what most of the plant holders I've seen before seemed to be made from it. If you do come up with a pattern, do share! I'm not sure I'm feeling creative enough to come up with my own!

I have a crochet plant holder leaflet from the 70s or 80s. I don't know what it's called or who produced it, and right now I'm not even sure where it is. I would use nylon thread, like JP Coats nylon or the nylon from Hobby Lobby. That's not the easiest to crochet with, but it would be hard to break that. Just make sure you glue the ends, so they don't come undone.

There's a book called Decorating With Crochet by Anne Halliday, published in 1965 with plant hangars, using whatever cable cord is. I'm thinking something from the hardware store! How about Jute? Kind of hard to crochet with, but it would work.

Archived