bag for kids to use in car

curell5

Question

I'm trying to find a pattern for a bag that can be used in the car for kids to hang over the seat in front of them to keep their stuff in. I've seen a pattern somewhere for this, but it's been about a year and don't have a clue where it was. If I can't find something specifically for this, do you think a messenger bag would work. I would have to adapt the strap to make it just loop over the headrest. Thanks a bunch!!

5 answers to this question

I would just make large totebags using double strands of worsted weight yarn. Just make sure they are wide and deep enough for the largest items the kids would be putting in them.

You could even make contrasting color pockets for the fronts to keep track of very small items.

To help keep a strap from stretching too much, I alway make a chain for the entire length of the strap, then single crochet all the way back down it, chain 1, turn. Do as many rows of single crochet as you need. For this project, I'd probably do 4. When finished, slipstitch all the way around it, because this helps it a lot to not stretch. Finish off.

Thanks for the great thoughts. I was thinking about just doing a tote, but I was worried about a stretchy handle- so I guess you have helped me with that! I'm still figuring out stitches and know that some directions are stretchier than others and just have not sat down and analyzed the differences. I'm guessing that if I would sc 4 across back and forth for the length of the handle, that would be stretchier than going the length first? I should get all this figured out. I would be a happier "pattern-less" crocheter!!!

For handles and straps, a lot of people like to work back and forth in short rows until the length is achieved, but it is stretchier that way. It's just that you feel like you have more control over the precision of the length.

For less stretch, do a chain the entire length of the handle or strap and single crochet back down it. No matter how many rows of single crochet you do, always finish with a row of slipstitch on both long edges, because slipstitches don't stretch. That's why they are not good to use in places where you do want some ease, like setting a sleeve in on a sweater.

When I make a skinny strap for a small bag, I make my long chain and slipstitch back down it. Period. No single crochet rows at all. It works great.

i wouldn't even crochet a handle for this project. how about going to joanns and buying some of that webbing material. it's the perfect size. i made a beach bag with it and it's great. or use a purse handle made out of something sturdya.

I think I will go with a different strap idea. I'm going to try to get some strap material and then put an "adjuster piece" on it so we can tighten it around the headrest of the seat infront of them. Geesh! I have enough old carseats around here that I could probably use the straps off of them! Long live recycling! hehe

Archived