What type of yarn to use?

Hello

I was wondering what type of yarn does everyone use to make shawls? I found some Red Heart Plush in cream today that I would love to make a shawl with but question if it would hold up to wearing and washing. I would like something to last for a time.

Thanks

Tammy

I made scarves with Red Heart Plush and was not happy. I gave some as gifts, but I also made one for myself. A few weeks after I made it, I spilled something on it and had to wash it. It came out fuzzy! It was awful. Maybe I shouldn't have machine washed and dried it, but the label says that you can.

Maybe you can work up a couple of swatches to test. Machine wash and dry one and hand wash and air dry the other.

I have some leftover, and I may test handwashing it myself. I did love the way the yarn worked up and the scarf was beautiful before I washed it.

I just made a shawl with a lattice type pattern from Moda Dea Dream yarn in lavender. It looks so special but is not heavy to wear. I would hand wash it though, no matter what the yarn label said.

I made a shawl for my niece with Naturally Caron. It worked up beautifully and was nice a soft!

I'm not sure how it will wash, however with something as delicate as this, I would more than likely have it dry cleaned.

Here's one of the pictures when I started the shawl...:crocheting

cimg1024.jpg?w=510&h=382

I didn't like Red Heart Plush because it stuck to itself while I was working with it but I made an incredibly soft hat and scarf set with it. I've made a shawl with baby yarn before. I have some Joann Sensations Rainbow Boucle that I set aside for a shawl. You can make a shawl from just about any yarn - depends on what you like in the finished product.

Oh man, that NaturallyCaron yarn is SO cool, isn't it? I haven't worked with it, just petted it so far but it's so soft and luxurious feeling! :hook

Archived