Yarn Winder Preference?

I currently have a yarn winder or wool winder I guess it's called, that is white and red plastic. This one:

http://www.paradisefibers.net/Yarn-Ball-Winder-p/465741.htm

I see there is also a white and blue one by Royal:

http://www.roxyyarns.com/store/shop.php/notions/royal-ball-winder/p_463.html

Would anyone happen to know if they wind the same size ball?

Thanks!

Mary*MI

ImagineScrapbooking.com

I think so, I have the same one as you! as far as I know there is a jumbo one available, there is a thread on here somewhere about winders....:) I love my winder! but I would really like an electronic one! ;)

I tried to do a search, but there were so many posts with just a mention of someone using one....I gave up.

I love the winder. I just wish it was bigger, so when I am using the balls, there wouldn't be quite so many ends to tie in.

My mom has the red one. The only problem she ever had with it was that the little tension rod would sometimes collapse while she was winding.

I have the blue royal one. Love it! They wind about the same size balls, but yea, I'd like to have a winder that did larger balls too!

I got the Royal Blue a couple months ago and wonder what I ever did without. It's the more expensive of the 2 Joann.com offers, if anyone's curious (they don't list the brands). I used a coupon though and got it for 24.99 so can't complain.

I think they do wind the same size ball. There are two differences that I've noticed. The main one is that on the red one, the mechanism is exposed. I've gotten yarn caught in there before and at least for me, it is frustrating and time consuming to get it out. The Royal has the mechanism covered. Also the Royal has a larger clamp. For me at least, those two differences make the Royal worth the extra money. These things might not make a difference for anyone else though.

Archived