What a wild day

Ok I was working on my rr for the elderly and abused comfortgan and had run out of the color I was using. So I started to go through all my boxes of stash, when in one of them I found a nice little family of mice. After screaming my head of, I got the box outside and released the mice in a field across from the house. I then went to inspect the damage and found that they had to chose the box with the "good" yarn in it. I had to throw out five skeins of woolease and wanted to try to save the rest. So in my daze, I threw the rest in the washer. I put it on delicate and all but 4 skeins came out ok. Then I thought -hey they need to be dried so I threw them in the dryer- Ops:eek I saved about 10 skeins,but have a wild mess of about 4 to try to untangle.

Then I had to go Michaels- as they are the only ones open on Sunday to try to get the color I needed. As I was shopping, I found they had a clearance on TLC Amour for only $2 a skein. I got the last 10 skeins they had. Wish I would have gone yesterday. :angry

So my day was on the excited side in both ways- good and bad:think

Something similar happened to me once when I stored some yarn in a storage shed outside the house. I put the skeins in knee high hose and ran them through the washer and dryer and they came out okay (except the ones the mice ruined, of course.) But I was able to save part of them, too. A friend told me she stuffed skeins down in panty hose, tied a piece of yarn between the skeins and washed the whole thing, saved all of hers.

I've done the same thing when I've bought yarn at yard sales, garage sales, Thrift stores, etc. Sometimes they have a smell or feel dirty. I don't hesitate to buy acrylic yarn at those places because I know I can wash it and save it, usually makes it softer to use, too.

Glad you could save most of your yarn and glad you found a bargain, too.

I had the same problem, knee highs or pantyhose to the rescue of the 'mouse and cat' scented yarn; and it's good as new. Well, except for needing to be wound up into neat little balls on my winder; but that's a job for another day.

Archived