Shopping bag

I think it would be way stronger than an average grocery bag. I made a tote bag out of "plarn" for my sister who is a school teacher and she puts all her books in it. If it can hold books, it should hold groceries..

Will a shopping bag made of "plastic bag yarn" be strong enough to hold groceries? Or will it stretch under the weight of various items?

Yes they work great and stretch gently under the weight. Check out this one that I use all the time for heavy fruits and etc. It has been so dependable.

http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/09/15/large-plastic-market-bag/

Yes they work great and stretch gently under the weight. Check out this one that I use all the time for heavy fruits and etc. It has been so dependable.

http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/09/15/large-plastic-market-bag/

Cindy I am saving my plastic bags because I really want to try this. I have a question, though. On the above pattern, it calls for a large ball of plastic bag yarn. Approx how big is a large ball, i.e., softball size, basketball size, etc. Just want to make sure I have enough before I start!

Thanks,

Katie

Cindy I am saving my plastic bags because I really want to try this. I have a question, though. On the above pattern, it calls for a large ball of plastic bag yarn. Approx how big is a large ball, i.e., softball size, basketball size, etc. Just want to make sure I have enough before I start!

Thanks,

Katie

It all depends and that's why I never say for sure how many. But depending on your bags and how wide you cut them, you probably will need about 25-32 bags. The ball size you need will be a bit bigger than a softball but smaller than a basketball. Hehe, clear as mud, right. :think

Anyway this one doesn't take as many bags as it's a wider mesh and uses the Q hook. Best of luck and please post your bag when done. I'd love to see it.

wow, how cool now I am going to have two projects to do, I have a bunch of yellow ones from our grocery store and now I am going to keep them almost give them back to the store they have a recycle bin for the bags.

Archived