Join the Geek Games!

I won't be competing in the Crochet Olympics either. I can't imagine putting a time limit on anything I make. I'm a temperamental artist and art takes time. How much time? IDK, when I'm done, that's when I'll know. :hook Sorta drains all the fun out of a project if I'm thinking "hurry up! hurry up!" while I'm doing it. That makes me a perfect contestant for the Geek Games.

Marathon Crochet: I once spent an entire weekend doing nothing but crocheting. I parked my butt in the comfy chair and went from Friday evening to Sunday evening and ordered take out 2 nights in a row. (yes, I did sleep :lol) After joining Crochetville I find that's not such a long time and lots of people do that regularly!

100 metre sprint: Only about 50 bucks so I'll win no medals here! Mind you, it's not that I don't have the talent to do this, it's just that I don't have the funds. Some day. :lol

Crochet Relay Race: I had a ton of black yarn to use up and wanted to make an old-fashioned granny square afghan so I got lots of skeins of different colors to go with the black. Yes, I'm aware that you're supposed to use scraps for the colors, I just didn't like my scraps at the time, ha ha. I got discouraged on the granny squares so the black went to start a different afghan. I started an all black afghan and got about 1/3 of the way thru before I decided I hated the look of it. I tried to frog it but it kept getting knotted so I tossed it. I went out to buy more black yarn for the next project because by now, my stash might be too low for an afghan. While buying the black, I saw a variegated color that went great with it so I picked up quite a few skeins and envisioned a new afghan in my mind. It was a ripple done with 2 strands. Here is where I decided that I didn’t like working with 2 strands and a huge, bulky hook. Couldn’t frog this one either as the strands became an ugly, tangled mess. Off to buy more black. (by this time, I’d practically used up what was in my stash and hadn’t made a single thing!) I did finally make a ripple with the black and the variegated yarn but not without another trip to the store for more variegated. :P

High Geek Jump: I like to pet my yarn WAY too much while I’m working with it. I’m weird. :hook

Fun idea!

Crochet Gymnastics – I have, once or twice, been known to crochet while supervising my daughter’s baths. I sit on the closed toilet seat and stitch away while she plays. As clean as I like to think I keep my bathroom, I go out of my way not to let my yarn touch the floor or the toilet – who wants germy crochet?

High Geek Jump – I have a couple entries for this event:

1. Most villers talk about being stash-a-holics. I’m a pattern-a-holic. I search for and collect patterns more than I crochet. I make references to crochet patterns during get-togethers with friends who don’t crochet (hey, they say talk about what interests you at social gatherings and quite frankly I don’t think there is anything more interesting than crochet to talk about).

2. I’ve definitely earned my crochet geek status at work where last Christmas I made all of my teammates crocheted coffee cozies. In a country where a certain restaurant's coffee is so much a national institution that the armed forces takes a mobile unit of this restaurant with them to serve overseas, I was dissappointed that I had to explain to all of them what it was! I think they would have preferred chocolates.:(

My event is Crochet Gymnastics: a little background first: I pray and crochet when my mom drives; she's 84 and thats about as slow as her Volvo goes. Going over the Raritan River on the Northbound Garden State Parkway there is a lot of merging and splitting off and people going across 8 lanes of traffic with only a middle finger to indicate what they are doing.

Event: I drop my hook. Remove seatbelt and bend forward to try and get it from under the seat I'm sitting in (front passenger). Meanwhile someone who should have let their seeing eye dog drive decides they want to be in the exact space we are in. Right Now! so Mom brakes hard and I go tumbling under the dashboard, rump in the air. DD is in the backseat laughing at me and saying it's a good thing we were going to the hospital anyway (to visit my son). It took a few minutes, but I did get back into the seat properly...hook in hand.

Archived