Question about baby hats...

Ok, I have a question for all you experienced Moms and Grandmas out there.

This may sound like a silly question, but I am a first time Grandma as of May 1 when DD gave birth to beautiful Harmony Rose:c9. So forgive me if I am being overly cautious.

I have been crocheting up a storm, of course, and have found some really cute patterns for baby hats or caps that have either crocheted ties or ribbons that tie under the chin. (Have found that some of the caps I've crocheted do not stay on too well.)

My question is: Is there any danger of the ties or ribbons getting caught around the baby's throat and hurting her?

Forgive me for sounding so ignorant, but DD is 36 and it has been a long time since I've taken care of a baby, so I can't be cautious enough.

Would appreciate any comments and/or advice.

I actually have the same question.

My DD is ude in Nov. She doesn't wanna me to start to crochet till she finds out if boy or girl which is gonna be on June 11.

BTW, beautiful name.

Rose :D

if you are going to use ties, make sure they are super thick, they really wont be too much of an issue til baby knows how to grab and pull on things, I also would not use any sort of fringe. I always just made a small flower and sewed it on the side of the hat for decoration and I never had an issue with them not staying on baby's head. You can always use a stretchy type of yarn too.

Being a mom of 2 little girls...as much as I think those hats are adorable, I wouldn't use one that ties with either of them because there is a chance they could choke on it. Harmony Leah, our 2 month old already grabs and puts her blanket in her mouth to knaw on and I really don't want to think about a ribbon or tie being within her grasp. A ribbon as decoration woven in is fine, but not for ties...Just my personal feelings. Also my older daughter never would leave a hat on and Harmony wiggles her head around till she gets the cap I made her off...so there is no guarantee it will get worn much:)

Archived