Knitting frustrations/Knit to Crochet?

I never learned to knit and I never really had any interest in it-I've found enough crochet stuff to keep me busy :) But then I saw an ad for the Knit Tricks book with a picture of the Big Cross Top and thought how hard could it be? Well, I hate it but I intend to keep trying. In the meantime, has anyone here made this pattern? I don't really understand how it goes together and I was hoping for a way to convert it to crochet.

Does it consist of just rectangles?

If so just crochet rectangles of the same size. You'd have to swatch a couple of times to get the right size.

I find tunisian crochet is quite similar to knitting. If you're into crocheting, this method uses a hook like crochet but gives off stitches such as stockinette or purl just like those in knitting. I bet you could possibly follow the pattern as it is in knitting but do it in tunisian with a hook. I wonder if anyone has done this?

generally speaking, converting from knit stockinette to sc it's usually the same number of stitches but for two rows of stockinette, I usually get 1 row of single crochet.

So 2 rows stockinette = 1 row sc

4 rows stockinette = 1 row dc

It is just rectangles which is why i thought it would be easy :lol I think my problem is I don't even know what stockinette *is*. I got a DVD from the library that showed me how to knit and purl stitch. It is 51 stitches cast on number 9 needles and then p2, k5 for the lseeves. Would the crochet equivelent still be 2 rows of DC for 4 rows knit?

This would be very easy in knit if you can do a knit and a purl stitch. 51 stitches is a multiple of 7 plus 2. (p2, k 5 = 7)

On your first (and all odd number) row you will (p2, k5) 7 times and end with a purl 2

On Even numbered rows you will (k2, p5) 7 times and end with a knit 2.

Stockinette is simply the technique of knitting on one row and purling on the next so that you get a specific effect.

I am assuming that you will just be making a very long rectangle that is as long as your arm span. (Is it the large picture on the front of the book?) When it is done, you will fold the whole thing in half lengthwise and stitch together a short portion to form a sleeve at both ends.

This really would be easy to do and would be an great chance to get the basic knit/purl concept of knitting under your belt.

Oh and just a cautionary note... since crochet is much fatter than knitting, you are not going to get the wispy look that pattern has unless you use a finer yarn with a large hook. I love my crocheted shrugs but you have to understand the nature of the beast to get the results you are looking to achieve

Archived