Does hook Brand really matter?

I checked my hooks last night, and it looks like all of them except a few are Boye.

I have a G that is SB, my steel size 7 is a SB, and of course the gigantic S hook is Lion.

Never really thought about a preference, but when I think about it, my steel size 7 is my absolute favorite hook, and when I crocheted a life-size greyhound for my friend, I used the SB G hook (even though I have a G size Boye hook), and loved that.

Maybe I ought to look into replacing some of the Boye's with SB?? :) I think it's mostly that the Boye's are much more readily available, that's why I have so many of them.

I also have K hook without a name which I've always liked, and it's shaped more like a SB hook.

So I guess I have to say I prefer Susan Bates. Just don't have a lot of them! :lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years and years ago, all hooks were shaped with the more rounded hook like the Boye. Over the years I started using the Susan Bates and find it much easier. I seem to crochet faster; the yarn doesn't slip off the hook as easily as it does with the Boye. In Walmart they have a hook shaped like the Bates, made by Wright (the same company that makes notions like bindings etc.)

When hooks were first mass produced, the size was determined by the manufacturer and no two manufacturers made their hooks the same size. Although today the sizes are supposed to be standard, I don't believe they are. Here's a chart showing some manufacturers and hook sizes.

The point is, if you start a project with one manufacturer's hook, you should continue to use that hook until the project is done.

Archived