Crocheting at the car shop

I had to take my car into the shop for an oil change and a couple of little things. Of course I brought my yarn and hook with me. While I was sitting there crocheting, the young man (late twenties, early thirties) who owns the place came up to me and asked me if I was crocheting. I told him I was and was just a little surprised that he knew crocheting from knitting. He proceeded to tell me how his granny used to crochet all the time and he's kept all of the blankets she made for him. She taught him to crochet when he was 10 years old, but he said he didn't keep it up. He then asked if knitting was the one with two hooks LOL. We had a lovely conversation and it was obvious that he treasures the blankets his grandmother made for him.

I love to hear these stories. It is nice to know that the work of previous generations is stilll valued. Also it is great that the "old" hobbies are becoming popular again.

That is sweet :)

Maybe it is coincidence but a lot of men seem to have fond memories of a mother or grandmother who crocheted or knitted. Whenever I would be working on something at church it was always the men, often middle aged and older, that would come over and comment or start up a conversation.

Also, for some reason many of them presumed it was a sign of pregnancy :think

That is great! I love it when people have or have had parents and grandparents who crocheted! I take my crochet with me everywhere too. I hate to sit somewhere bored.

Archived