Attic Find

My brother and his wife just bought a house. While cleaning it up and getting ready to renovate before moving in, they found some interesting things that had been left in the attic.

My mother got a scrapbook from up there that looked VERY old, and when opened up, it contained (nearly every page) newspaper clippings from the Kennedy assassination! It was so awesome to look at and felt old. Of course, I suppose the newspaper articles date it.

The other find--the one that I got, was a handful of crochet hooks. There were plastic hooks and aluminum hooks and one steel hook. Only two of the aluminum hooks were scratched so bad I wouldn't dare try to use them. Some were tiny (B's and D's and E's) and some were big (one N and a K I believe).

One hook is a Handy Hook size K by Accento Craft Inc. and from the color design, looks like something from the 60's or 70's.

Only 2 of the other plastic hooks had a size on them, the rest have no writing on them at all so no idea. The ones with writing say "Oxmoor House" on them. I thought it was an awesome find. :)

Sadly, I wasn't there. I've not even seen the house yet.

My mom comes in one weekend (on one of the rare visits here) and says, "Oh, I forgot to bring you those knitting needles."

Full stop. Huh? "You got me knitting needles?"

"They were in the attic of your brother's house."

Okay, first I had heard of any of this. I think at that point, I hadn't even known my brother bought a house.

Fast forward two weeks--yes, took that long to get them. The "knitting needles" turned out to be a whole handful of hooks. Which I had learned the previous weekend when she claimed (over the phone) that she never called them knitting needles. (forehead to palm)

Oh well, I'm tickled pink. Especially with the psychedelic funky shaped hook that was in with them. *grin*

Tell your mom to hang on to that scrapbook... those newspaper articles could be worth some bucks! As for the hooks, great find as well.

My SIL cleaned out the upstairs closet of their dad's house after Mom passed away, and I inherited some OLD yarn and a wooden crochet hook.. pretty big, looks like maybe a K or N, even.... apparently was my hubby's grandma's hook. I don't use it, just keep it put away as a keepsake. The yarn was not usable though... really dirty and ragged looking and a hideous color. I threw it away... guess I could have kept it, stuck the hook in it and displayed it somewhere... but I didn't want to. Anyway, the hook looks like it might have been homemade.

Archived