First felting complete

Schmetterling

I finished my first felting. I picked something really small to experiment with both because it was my first felt, and because I knew that the yarn I bought at Big Lots for 1.50 was Lion Brand Landscapes; I read that it does not felt well at all.

It was also a pretty funky color but I couldn't help buy it! My 5 year old however adored it so I tried doing a little clutch for her.

The first pic is post-crocheting, pre-felting:

PreFeltPurse.jpg

The second is when I was doing some final shaping:

PostFeltPurse.jpg

From all the felting I've seen IRL at my local LYS and such, I can definitely tell the Landscapes did not felt well, as everyone said. I am happy though with the first attempt, feel prepared now to do something with a better yarn, and my daughter is tickled pink!

It's so cute! I happen to like the colors! At least you were brave enough to give felting a try! I've wanted to, but haven't yet. Can't wait to see your next one!

Thank you Lauren! It really wasn't difficult at all, and once my other projects are completed, I will go ahead and give something bigger a try, with a better felting yarn.

You'll have fun--give it a try! :D

Ladies - don't be afraid of felting - its easy and fun

start with something small if you dont want to invest alot of crocheting time. But just remember that it does shrink alot so follow an easy pattern. Once you do it you will love it

Normally, they say to put it in the washer for about 10 minutes. Do that and then check it and see if you like the way it felted. If you do, then just take it out, if not, felt it more.

Thanks for the tips!

I tried a felted potholder yesterday and it came out so neat! There was one skein of a vintage yarn in the Freecycle lot I received recently so thought I'd give felting another try. It felted so much more quickly and nicely than the LB Landscapes, despite the age (1960's).

Archived