Calculating Increases

bythehook

Question

:think Is there a formula or a trick in figuring out the number of stitches to place between increases. Example 80 stitches increased to 92. I've always done it by trial and error and today it's just not working for me. I think I took a dumb pill with my meds this morning. Thanks for any help you can give me.

:ty

4 answers to this question

OH WOW. I started writing down how I do it, but it got so confusing that I figured I would mess you up more than help. I do a lot of the figuring in my head, but sometimes if my head isn't working right, I'll draw the row out on a piece of paper. I use dots for every stitch. It helps me to see a visual of the whole thing and get a better perspective on it. I see from what you said that you need to add 12 stitches to your row. Sooo, draw out 92 dots and you can better see where you need to add those 12 stitches at. You'll need to add an increase every 7 stitches, BUT you'll have 8 stitches left over. This is where seeing the row drawn out will better help you to know where to put those extra stitches at. Use a different color pen to mark the dots where an increase is to be made. I know it sounds lame, but it works for this lame person.:blush

Kristina

http://kristinaskrochet.50webs.com

Here's what I do:

You have 80 and you want to go up to 92 in one round?

92-80 = 12 -- the number of stitches you are increasing.

so you have 12 extra stitches you want to increase by, spaced evenly around.

take the number of stitches currently (80) and divide by the number of stitches you're adding (12). This gives you the number of stitches in between increases. In this case, this is 6.666667. This means that it isn't going to be even :)

If you do it every 6 stitches, you'll actually end up with 93 stitches instead of 92. If you do it every 7 stitches, you'll end up with 91.

Now if you're asking about increasing and making a flat circle, that's a different issue (ie: increasing 12 st in some unknown number of rounds).

Does that help? I think of all of this in math terms... and not everyone does!

How about this: Take the number of stitches you need to increase (12) and find out how many times that number goes into the amount of stitches you already have (80/12=6 plus leftover) Then put an increase every 6 stitches. You'll have 8 stitches left at the end instead of 6, but other than that, it's evenly placed along the body of the work.

Thanks everyone! That's the way I've been doing it, dividing the number in the row by the number of increases, but apparently today it has just boggled my mind. I appreciate all the help. Thanks!

Archived