Is it an original pattern?

crochet smartcat

Question

I had an idea for a pattern using parts of several different patterns. None of it would be my own actual design, I would just be taking pieces from other patterns and putting them together in a new and fun way. Would this qualify as an original pattern or should I give credit where the credit is due. I don't want to slight anyone or make anyone upset, but it is still a really cool idea. I will do it for myself, but wanted to be able to post it and maybe sell it.

when designing and selling patterns I really like to have a pattern that is ALL my own. If it is a part of semeone elses then I will always feel like it isnt all my idea. When I design and publish and sell a pattern I want a clear mind!!!

For instance if you took a bag pattern and made it the same but changed the handles or a pocket that is just embelishing in my opinion. The CORE idea was still the same.

hope I havent stepped on toes or been to blunt but you asked!!!:hug:blush :blush :blush !!!

marlo

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com

I think it would depend on how big the "pieces" are. In other words, how much of someone else's pattern are you using? If it was yours would you recognize it if it became part of someone else's creation? This is a very "iffy" area. It's almost impossible to do something that's totally original and not influenced by anybody else's work, but there's a fine line, and only you can make the final judgement call.

I think it would definately be considered a new pattern and your own design! Almost everything is designed from seeing a pattern or picture somewhere.

Archived