ARG! I don't get it! Still having problems w/ hat pattern!

PJ

Question

:bang OK, I'm just going to paste in the entire pattern...

I've posted about it before and got some help from Kymberlina, and emailed Lion (it's a free pattern on their site)--no response yet, and searched the web, and I'm still confused. Maybe I'm just slow. :shrug

HAT

Crown

Ch 3 and close into a ring with 1 slip st in first ch.

Rnd 1 Ch 1, 7 sc in ring.

Rnd 2 Ch 1, 2 sc in each sc in ring – 14 sc.

Rnd 3 Ch 1, *1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc*, rep from * to * around – 21 sc.

Work even in sc until crown measures 5 1/2" from center of crown.

Here are my questions/issues...

It doesn't say to work continuously, but there isn't anything about joining either. But, at the beginning of each round it say to chain 1. Huh?

I've been placing a stitch marker to make sure I'm getting the right number of stitches per round. Is the round supposed to go all the way around? Mine aren't, even when I do the right number of stitches...could it be that when it says "28 sc" it means I'm stitching into 28 sc, not that I'm making a total of 28?? With each round, doing the number of stitches indicated leaves me farther away from my starting point.

I thought I had it figured out earlier and had moved on to the "work even" part, but the shape of it makes me wonder. Any help anyone can provide would really be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

I removed part of the pattern because posting the entire pattern, although it is free, is a copyright violation.

Cathey sounds right - you'll be joining to the first stitch and doing a chain 1. I did this recently with a hat and it makes a nice tight joining.

Archived