Charity Hat Pattern Baby-Adult, FREE!

Vickietoria

Hi everyone! I am not sure if this should be in the patterns section, or the charity section, but I'll put it here where I think more people who do charity items will see it. Feel free to make this hat for my charity, or any other charity you know of. You all do so many amazing things for charity!

I was playing with some yarn today, and I designed a cute hat! :) I don't know if there's one like this out there, but I was thinking... It's not fair that knit should be the only way you can get a nice stretchy hat, with the ribbing. So, voila! I came up with a super duper easy, anyone can do this hat, that has ribbing. :)

If you've ever done a ribbing for the brim of a hat, it's just that, only all the way through.

I don't have a picture yet, because I was just so excited to share this pattern with you! I'll get one soon though. :)

It's really more like a guideline but... Here's the pattern for preemie, with notes for larger sizes in ()

I used a size H hook, and some caron simply soft yarn. It would work with many other brands, just play with your yarn to see what you like for other combinations of hook/yarn that you have.

Chain 4, make 11 dc in first chain made (however you'd like to start out, just so that you have a first row of 11 dc, and a ch 3 space, or 12 dc; some people would rather chain 4, then sl to make ring, then ch 3, and do 11 dc in ring, whatever floats your boat :))

ch 3, 2 dc in each dc around, join with sl st to first DC made (not chain 3, this will make it look a little smoother, but whichever way you prefer is great)

Ch 2 (not 3, since it'll be a shorter stitch than dc) and do a front post dc around post of first dc of previous row (all ch 2 from here on out do not count as anything, make sure you always have 24 actual dc's). Then, do a back post dc around the next dc, and alternate front, back, all the way around the hat. Join with a sl st to top of first dc (again, skip the ch 2).

Repeat last row until desired length. I did mine for 10 rows, and it even leaves a little to be a brim if desired. You could do an edging if you like, or leave it alone.

I love this idea, and I'm currently working it up for other sizes. If anyone would like to make up some of these for my charity, please feel free to! Otherwise, there are many great men and women on here who are doing amazing things for babies, and there are many charities that accept hats of all sizes. You could do this for any size hat, and just start the front and back post stitches on the first row that doesn't have increases.

Note:

If you'd like another kind of ribbing, try one of the following ideas. Always count the stitches in the last increase row, to decide which would work for your pattern:

-multiples of 2, you can do a fpdc, then bpdc

-multiples of 3 you can do fpdc, then 2 bpdc

-multiples of 3 you can do bpdc, then 2 fpdc (would look basically the same as turning the one above it inside out. :)

-multiples of 4, you can do 2 fpdc, then 2 bpdc around

Just get creative and see what you can come up with! This would work with any basic start to a hat pattern that uses dc's. I haven't tried it with sc, but it would probably be too short.

If you have any questions, feel free to write to me! Enjoy!!

Victoria:manyheart

PS

Please don't make this item to sell online, as I will be making them for my store, and I don't want to compete with myself. However, if you're going to be making them for craft fairs and you're not in Alabama, I think we're safe. :) Please do not sell the pattern either. Thanks!

Thanks guys! I've also tried it where I started doing fpdc and bpdc even while still increasing. You can do both in the same post from the previous row, so that means that it's ribbed all the way to the top. It's been fun playing with this pattern today. :)

Victoria

Archived