Question about blocking

Maybe... acrylic doesn't usually need "blocking" per se in my experience. Of course, it depends on what you're making and the weight of the yarn/thread.

If it's a sweater or blanket or scarf or something, just wash it and instead of putting in the dryer (you wouldn't want to with wool anyhow...) I dry it flat on a couple of towels, "blocking" it to the shape it needs to be if it needs a little help.

I'm making a wrap with a lacey picot stitch, but the stitches are bunching up, losing the pattern of the stitches. When I stretch it out, it looks the way I want it to. But before I go any further, I'd like to know if it will block to the shape I want. If not, I'll frog and start over.

Are perhaps your stitches a bit too tight? Maybe you'd like to try a swatch of your pattern with a little larger hook to see if it still bunches up like that. I don't know if blocking would remove the problem you're describing. Just an idea:think

Colleen

Hey Rose, I'm using Patons Shetland Chunky, which is a bulky yarn that recommends a J hook. I normally crochet tightly, so I went up a hook size, which normally works. I'm stumped. Thanks for the help!

With that much acrylic, no--not with normal blocking (even with the 25% wool). You will need to "kill" the acrylic to get it to block. The good part about that is this--once the acrylic is "killed" into shape, it won't unblock when it is washed, even in the machine and dried in the machine.

You'll need heat, wet, and patience. The easiest way is to pin out the item to the shape you want, preferrably on a blocking board (so you can have it sit up -- leaning against a wall or door -- rather than lying flat). Then crank up a steamer, and steam the stuffings out of the item. Let it dry absolutely completely before unpinning.

There are more discussions about this, including some alternate ways to "kill" the acrylic, on the Knitters Review forum. I think the discussion is under "lace" or maybe "shawls and scarves".

You will need a blocking board to wet/damp block your pieces, it you want textured stitches and patterns to stand out. Depending on what the item is or what it is being use for, you can also "kill" (not my term) stitches by lightly applying heat to block, this can affect the drape of the fabric if that is what you are looking for, the light heat slightly melts the acrylic. Be aware though, if you "kill" the acrylic stitches with heat you must be very careful, and realize that you can never go back if you make a mistake. Kiilling the stitches with heat is permanent. I would go to the library or book store and look at knitting and crochet books (either is fine, you block the same way with both) and look at the step by step instructions with photos.

Thanks for the tips! Rose, yes I tried using a smaller hook and it did improve the stitches a bit. It won't need as much blocking with the smaller hook. Thanks a bunch!

Archived