Attn: Kiwis (New Zealand members)

I have a good friend in New Zealand.

We're going to meet in Vegas in June.

I want to make her a gift....

After leaving the U.S., she'll be touring Europe.

Would a shawl be a good idea? :think

In particular, I was thinking of Doris Chan's Blue Curacao shawl, but probably in black instead of blue. It's a sort of wrap-around pineapple shawl.

Are shawls popular in New Zealand? :think I don't want to give her something she'll never use. I thought that since the seasons are opposite of ours, and since she'll be touring Europe, a shawl may come in handy. I don't expect her to need it in Vegas in June, but I thought that at some point in her trip she may enjoy having it and then be able to use it at home, too.

If you don't think a shawl is a good idea, please let me know if you have another suggestion.

Thank you!

:manyheart

Hi Happy Stitcher

I'm not a Kiwi but live in Australia. I think shawls are really popular all over the world!!

I know it can get chilly in NZ so I'm sure that she would use it. Even as a lap blanket on the plane trip would be great.

Good luck with it and I hope I have helpt a little!!!

ANY KIWIs OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP!!!!!

Shellymoo :mcow

Thanks Shellymoo!

I hadn't thought of using it on the plane, but I'll be sure to mention that to her when I give it to her. I've been thinking about it, and I think it would be a good gift.... I just hope they're popular in her country so that she'll want to wear it.

Anybody else have an opinion?

Thanks!

Judy

Not a Kiwi or Aussie however I agree with Shellymoo that a lot of people do like them. It would be handy on a plane as plane blankets are thin.

Also I lived in Vegas for 10 years. A shawl in June would actually be very nice. She won't be outside all of the time and inside is very very air conditioned. :)

I'm an Aussie...and to be honest I've not seen a traditional shawl worn here in a very long time. Not sure about New Zealand though.

What is popular here in the colder months is a pashmina. It's a lot wider than a scarfe (where a scarf is about 10 inches wide, a pashmina may be 30), but is worn in a similar fashion, or shawl style, around the outside of the upper arms.

Honestly though, shawls can be used for so many things, and if she's touring Europe when it's cold I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

:cheerI'm a Kiwi:cheer

It will depend on your friends age as to what would make a good gift.

I am of the age where I would love whatever you gave me, as long as the colour was right for me so maybe that could be the main consideration when deciding if you will make her something to wear.

Remember, it will be warm in Europe too so mayve a shawl would not be the best choice, unless it is a very fine lacy one which can be used on a chilly evening but will tuck into a corner of her suitcase.

The sort I mean is where you use a very fine yarn and a large hook so the fabric is soft and squishy.

My sister is taking a group of 40 women to Alaska in May so I have made her 40 of my Knitted Crossover Scarves, in lots of different colours so she can give them all a "Welcome to the tour" gift.

These are so small they can be tucked into a small space and pulled out if the air is chilly.

Hope I have been a help but feel free to PM me if you need more.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

PS, Forgot to ask what area of NZ your friend is in

Hi Colleen!

I forgot you were in NZ, or I would have PMd you straight off.

My friend is in Dunedin. She's 43.

The shawl I was considering is a very lacy pineapple design. But Mandy's suggestion of a pashmina has me thinking....(Thanks Mandy!!)

I do understand that it would be best to make something that won't take up a lot of room. No bulky yarns. The shawl is made from Lily Chin's Greenwich Village Yarn:

http://www.bargainyarns.com/yarn/Lily_Chin_Yarn-Greenwich_Village_Yarn-4030.html

It makes for a warm fuzzy shawl, but the pattern has a lot of holes.

The pattern is from the book "Amazing Crochet Lace":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0307339750/ref=dp_image_0/104-9229921-4627155?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

It's not the one on the front cover, but it's very lacy.

Maybe a pashmina would be better, though....if shawls aren't generally worn in NZ, then I should consider that. I'd hate to give her something she'd have to carry with her on her trip but wouldn't want to use. :think

:cheerDunedin is in the South Island and is very cold in winter so a Pashmina or shawl would be fine.

Pashmina may be the best because it can be used as a knee rug as well, or as a scarf if it is soft enough.

I have seen people on TV wearing large scarves, doubled over and the ends through the fold, in winter, so that could be ideal for Dunedin and would be good when she is in Europe, if she strikes a cooler evening.

Use a very simple stitch with a nice Pineapple edging maybe.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived