Charity crochet

I was trying to post this to the charity forum, but I'm not allowed to access it for some reason. But, I was watching Oprah's The Big Give and one of the players was handing out money to women who just had babies in a hospital (didn't catch the name of the hospital). Well, the administrator of the hospital said they don't have blankets for the new moms to wrap their babies in and most have to take their babies home wrapped in a towel. As many crocheters that make blankets for newborns, I was stunned to hear that this hospital didn't have anybody donating crocheted/knit blankets. If someone knows what hospital that was, could you email me or post it? Thanks.

You can't post in the Charity section probably because you haven't done the minimum posts to be a full member yet. After 30 posts you'll most likely be able to post there.

Did you check on the show's webpage? A lot of times there are episode recaps there that give you more detailed information.

Although, I happen to know the hospital you're talking about. :lol It's Denver Health--our general hospital. Did you know that 88% of the babies born in that hospital go home to families that are below the poverty line? :( I've been considering trying to do something about getting some blankets there soon. Even if they're just flannel squares edged in bias tape, that's better than taking your newborn home in a towel!

Thanks for the info about posting to the charity board. Now I understand! LOL About the hospital and blankets, wouldn't it be awesome to get some blankets in that hospital and surprise the staff and new moms??

Is there a project Linus chapter in that area? They could probably get blankets there faster than anyone.

I thought about that, too. The problem is, right now nobody's sure if the hospital will accept handmade donations. They're doing a drive right now called "Newborns in Need" and every bit of documention I've seen says "New" items only. Now, I'd consider a handmade good a new product...but they might not. I've got a call into the hospital right now waiting for a reply. As soon as I have any more information, I'll post here and let everyone know! :)

And the Project Linus groups in our area have a lot of work to do getting blankets out to Children's Hospital. So, this might be something we could work on as a new project.

About the hospital and blankets, wouldn't it be awesome to get some blankets in that hospital and surprise the staff and new moms??

It totally would....and right now they're doing a drive (through March 24) called Newborns in Need. They're collecting all sorts of baby stuff, and they put bags together from this stuff to give to the new Moms. I've called to see if we can donate handmade blankets to be put in those bags, but I haven't heard back yet--I'll post here when I have any more information!

Ok, ladies, I got a call from Robin at Denver Health, who works with the Newborns in Need project. She says they're DELIGHTED to take homemade blankets. I'm going to go start a thread in the Charity forum with details.

canter--I'll be sending you a PM since you don't have your 30 posts yet.

• 1 month later...

Archived