2 Strands together...slight rant!

Ok, I am working on a pattern that calls for size 5 thread, only had white, didn't want white, so I'm using 2 strand of size 10, in a lovely shade of purple! I swear though, I am spending more time unwinding, untangling, and walking away for a break from the unwinding/untangling, than I am crocheting! Anyone know of a secret? My 2 balls are not twisting together, it's just the 2 strands between the work and the balls...making me crazy...lol. :thair

:hugSorry you're frustrated. Are you having to turn in the pattern? Because, if so, every time you turn the thread will twist over itself. So when you turn, also switch the position of the thread so that it is straight when you start each row, round, whatever. If you have to rip it out, take it slow! Pull out maybe ten stitches winding one strand as you go, then wind the other. Pull out 10 more winding one as you go, wind the other, repeat. HTH. You can do it!

With some threads and yarns, it's got to do with the twists in it and with how it's wound. I had a horrible time with using 2 strands of LB baby yarn for a baby blanket. Now, I just used 2 strands of Jiffy for a big tote and had no problems at all.

When I do two strands together, I just pull out my ball winder and wind them together into a single ball. Of course, if I don't use all of it, it can be a pain to unwind, but that's also a good excuse to go BUY MORE!!

If you ever make another one, perhaps try turning in a different direction each row. If you turn clockwise on one row, turn counter-clockwise on the next row. I find this helps remove tangling and twisting to a minimal level. I also find using a lidded bowl or yarn holder helps with this as well. If you go for a bowl idea, just grab two of those cheap ziplock bowls they sell in the grocery store for $1.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Thanks for the tips!

I know I will be doing another with 2 strands...I will definitely give the baggies or bowls a try - even when I don't turn, I still got twists from he**. Took me twice as long as using 1 strand, spent just as much time untwisting as I did crocheting! :angry

I keep my skeins on opposite sides from another, it helps a little. Turning the project twists the yarn... of course! Wish I'd thought of that on my last purse...

I take two coffee cans and cut a small hole in the center of each lid & thread my yarn through. That way my yarn balls don't roll around in the floor and can wobble around freely in their own can without getting tangled up. :)

Take a piece of cardboard and punch two holes in it (about 2 inches apart). Feed your thread through the two holes. This keeps the threads from twisting onto each other. Turning will cause the thread to twist so just adjust the two threads by turning your cardboard and/or reposition of your balls.

You can use the same method with yarn. Happy Crocheting :)

Archived