Crocheting for Local Hospital

The_Virginia_Hooker

I'm planning on starting to crochet things for a local hospital (i'm just in the very beginnings of getting started). Scarves and hats for adults, blankets and hats for babies and preemies. I've already contacted the head of volunteering at the hospital who gave me the list of requirements (i.e. easy care, cleanliness, etc.)

My questions are for anyone else who does this:

1) Do people donate yarn to you? How would you go about getting some donated yarn without seeming like a moocher, if that makes any sense?

2) Do you think thrift stores would be open to setting any yarn they get aside for this kind of cause?

3) Are businesses open to making any donations or providing discounts for yarn for this cause?

4) Any yarn that you purchase for this, do you save the receipt for tax deductions?

I'll also buy yarn to use, but i need to eat as well so i'm not going to bust the bak for this. I'll also plan on using mill end bags to do this as well, but the closest store that sells mill end bags is 1 1/2 hours away. And i'd prefer not to order mill end bags online, because i don't want to wind up with bags of Fun Fur or something like that.:hook

Check you local Freecycle, Craigslist, and any swap papers you have. Also watch your newspaper classified ads. Haunt Goodwill :D...they often have REALLY good deals. The most I've paid for yarn there was $9.99 for one of those huge heavy plastic zipper bags jammed full (mostly RHSS and Simply Soft, but some Homespun and baby yarn and thread, too.) Once people know you want yarn, they'll remember you when they clean out an attic or garage or whatever.

I've not tried most of those ways to get yarn, but I have heard that some places require donated items to be made with new yarn, rather than from thrift shops. I believe this is for health issues. You may want to check.

I've not tried most of those ways to get yarn, but I have heard that some places require donated items to be made with new yarn, rather than from thrift shops. I believe this is for health issues. You may want to check.

One of the requirements before i'd drop things off is that i wash them in warm water with dye and perfume-free detergent, and dry them on warn in the dryer, with no fabric softner. They will then be washed again when they arrive at the hospital. That was one of the first things i asked about, because i figured that the nature of the NICU and other ICUs.

Archived