Community Blanket Project

froguruami

I am starting a yarn club with a homeschool group. We are thinking of doing a Community Blanket Project during an art show in a couple of weeks.

Here is my plan, please punch holes in it!!!!:lol

I am planning to set up two tables with chairs. One table will have a 2 or 3 knitted blankets that has been started on a loom and another table with 2 or 3 crochet blankets that have been started. People that are passing by will be encouraged to sit down and do a row or two and add to the community blanket. When finished each piece will be seemed together to make 2 large blankets, one knit and one crochet, and donated to a local charity.

So my questions are

1. Do you think it will even work? This is a very hands on art show geared toward children. So people come expecting to have things to do. I plan to have the children there working on the blankets while there is down time so the other kids might want to stop and take a look. For the crochet blanket I think I can walk older kids through a single crochet fairly quickly and the adults that already know how to crochet can do whatever they want. The loom knitted blanket can be done by any one.

2. What yarn and hook size would you recommend? We are in Florida so it doesn't get crazy cold. I want the yarn to be fairly inexpensive so I was thinking acrylic. Tell me if you think that is a bad idea. I also like acrylic because it is easy to clean. For hook size I was going to go with something fairly large, maybe an N??

3. What potential disasters can you foresee? I have already thought of people walking off with my hooks. I plan to use brightly colored, cheap hooks and have several extra on hand! Changing skeins is another, that is another reason acrylic appeals to me. I can get the gigantic one pound skeins and that will minimize, maybe eliminate the yarn changes.

4. And last, has anyone ever done anything like this??

Instead of crochet, how about another knitting loom, or, mini looms for the kids to take the stuff with them?

Or, just have the adults do the crochet. I think the kids will enjoy the loom better. Plus, it might be much easier for them to do.

The yarn sounds great! Also, Hershners, is having a yarn sale that ends at midnite tonite. Also, what kind of looms are you talking about? I would throw in some kid looms.

To me, its a fantastic idea! I think the kids will love this!

I think it's an absolutely wonderful idea. As long as you have a couple people at each table who know how to knit/crochet so they can show anyone who wants to try it. I really love your idea and I think it's very clever. And I agree... large skeins of acrylic yarn would probably be best.

Good luck with this project. Please let us know if you decide to go through with it and how it turns out.

Debby

That's an awesome idea! Is there going to be another crocheter and/or knitter around to help you out? That way you aren't constantly being pulled in more than one direction. Also, what about having squares available for the kids that are working on the blanket during the down times? I know my Joann's has the Caron pounds for $5 each right now, but that might have ended today. They also have a president's day sale going on and I received a 10% off entire order coupon in the mail.

Archived