Crochet with Wire: Best Gauge?

CatsCradleCreations

Question

For those of you who crochet with wire or have in the past, what is the best gauge of wire to use? I'm wanting to make some jewelry, and the only size wire Wal-Mart had was 20 gauge. I'm thinking I need to use at least 24 gauge, 'cause the 20 is huge.

Also, what size hook would you recommend? :think

5 answers to this question

i think steels are best.. the metal definately would wear your wood.. i wouldnt use wood at all... and i would be afriad i would break a plastic one.. every thing i have read says use a steel and that is what i use.. and 28 ga wire.. or less if i can find it..and i like copper wire best is more malliable..

Thank you! I'm probably going to go with 26 or 28 after reading your tips. I don't have any wooden hooks...just steel, aluminum, and plastic. I'll probably try my 0 steel to see what happens.

Also, have you tried using Beadalon wire for crochet? It's coated, so I'm thinking it might work better for the hooks...I'll post what happens with the Beadalon!

Also, have you tried using Beadalon wire for crochet? It's coated, so I'm thinking it might work better for the hooks...I'll post what happens with the Beadalon!

I have Beadalon 19 at home~~I use it for flexible rosaries~~and it does NOT work well for crochet! Just so you all know.

I bought some 30 and 34 wire but it's still too hard for me to work with. Maybe the numbering is a bit different here. I guess I also have to be patient and really get used to working with wire. I'd love to make something with it though because they sell this wire for REALLY cheap and the colours they come in are really fun!

Archived