For Anyone Working on the Cathedral Rose Window Afghan...

This question would actually be for those who are working on the afghan from the reprinted pattern, not the original one, since the yarn requirements with regard to color differ from the original to the reprint. I'm well into my Cathedral Rose Window afghan. I have the center portion with the large, main center piece done and the eight small pentagons and eight triangles all sewn together. I have completed my 16 large heptagons and am now working on the 32 small heptagons.

My question is this - Does it look to you like you are not going to have enough of the variegated yarn to complete the afghan? The yarn requirements called for five (5) five ounce skeins of the variegated yarn. They called for Gemstone, I'm using Banana Berry. They called for Red Heart Super Saver, I'm using Red Heart Super Saver, so the yardage should be the same even though the color is not. My problem is that I have only ONE of the 32 small heptagons completed, I have the whole rest of the afghan to go, the body of which is predominantly done in the variegated yarn, and I only have THREE SKEINS OF VARIEGATED LEFT!

I am afraid that I'm not going to have enough of the variegated to complete the afghan, and I'm going to have way too much black, since the black is only used in between the colored patches and the pattern calls for SIX (6) SEVEN OUNCE SKEINS of black! Is anyone else noticing this problem with the re-printed pattern?

I think I'm just going to go ahead and order another three skeins of Banana Berry just to be on the safe side, and I'll get it from Knitting Warehouse in the hope that it will be the same dye lot that they sent me when I ordered the stuff I have now. I'm actually tempted to order about six skeins of it and just do all of the row crocheting of the piece in the new lot that I order, figuring at least THAT lot will all be the same dye lot, and if the variegated pattern looks different on the circles than it does on the rows then that's OK because it's circles vs rows, KWIM?

I'm really kind of upset about this, and I'm anxious to see what others have to say.

Elle

Elle,

I used a bigger hook than the afghan called for so I used more yarn. I don't remember exactly how much, though. It does eat up the yarn! I wouldn't worry too much about matching dye lots. Even if the shading is off slightly it would add to the stained glass effect (just my opinion).

:hug,

Lorry

It always seems that I need more yarn on big projects than the pattern called for. Perhaps I crochet a tad loose. Like Lorry, I tend to use a size larger hook as well. Since I KNOW I'm going to need more (especially with VARIEGATED) I always buy more. Good luck on the Cathedral Rose. I just broke down and bought that pattern myself but haven't started on it yet.

Hugs,

Barbara

I ordered extra yarn right off the bat. I also found a whole skein of gemstone in my stash. I'm sure I'll have plenty (I HOPE!). Mixing dyelots on the varigated yarn doen't seem to be a problem, at least not with gemstone.

Sheryl

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I think I'm just going to go ahead and order another few skeins of Banana Berry, because I just know I'm not going to have enough here. I'm also going to keep careful track of just how much I do use, and then I'm going to notify Annie's Attic so that they can change their yarn requirements on the pattern if they want to. When it comes to stitch tension, I'm pretty middle-of-the-road. I crochet neither tightly nor loosely, so what they have called for should have worked, but I'm going to be really surprised if I don't have to use at least another two whole skeins of variegated than what the pattern calls for.

Elle

Archived