Increasing Question

purlwise

I'm making a little dog sweater and I'm knitting a stretch of stockinette that is decreasing in for the arm hole then increases out, creating a space to pick up stiches for the arm. The instructions say to M1 two knit stitches in from the end on both sides. Not my usual stitch of choice for an increase, but I did it. After I purled my next row and turned the work to the RS I noticed holes where the M1 was. I tried it several times and always get the hole, so I frogged it and redid the increase stitches with my usual method of increase, the kf/b, which did not produce a hole. Not using the M1 very often I don't understand if that is the way it should look or if I'm doing the M1 increase wrong? Seems to me there is ony one way to do it so I'm confused.:think I don't like the holes in my work!

Anybody? Thanks.

There is a great video here on knittinghelp.com. Just scroll down the increases page and you can watch her do the M1 in both continental and english style. I've done M1s a few times and never ended up with holes. HTH

ETA, she shows a couple different methods for making the M1. My favorites are the M1B and M1F as they don't leave a noticeable hole :)

Great thanks! I love that site, but I've been spending so much time over here!

After watching the video, I was doing it wrong. I was lifting the strand in the middle with the right needle and knitting that. Didn't know you had to lift with the left needle!

yes...you have to twist the stitch as you make one....that gets rid of the hole...good luck.

When I watched the video there were four ways to do a make one, the one I was talking about lifts the strand and knits into the back. I don't think there is a twist.

Great thanks! I love that site, but I've been spending so much time over here!

After watching the video, I was doing it wrong. I was lifting the strand in the middle with the right needle and knitting that. Didn't know you had to lift with the left needle!

Glad I could help :)

I lift the strand in the middle with the RIGHT needle and place it on the LEFT needle. The trick to prevent the hole is to be sure to knit that stitch through the back, which twists it. If you knit it the regular way through the front you will have a hole.

The M1 increase is the easiest and least visible increase.

Archived