questions re: crinoline ladies

I really like them, but have never made--I only learned of them seeing them here by all of you talented crocheters and thereafter was searching for them online. Maggies Crochet has some beautiful patterns. I am putting one on my "to do" list and will probably make it as an "in between other projects" project because, never having made one, I am already a little bit intimidated. How long does it take to complete one, must they be blocked, and how many balls of thread does it generally take? Thanks

let me see if i can help a bit since i was where you are around halloween when i jumped in to my first.

!these ladies depending on pattern use less than an over 100yard ball or thread.

They can be blocked and even stiffened depending on what you want to do with them. Personally I just wet mine and lay flat and shape then once dry frame it by tzking apart the frame leaving the glass in, lay the lady face down on the glass making sure she is positioned as i want then I;ay a piece if acid free scrapbooking paper as a background then finish putting the fram together. If your lady has three dimensional accents make sure that when you fram her the accents don't liik squished and thaat is all ther eis to it. I can ususally finish a simple crinoloine in a sunday at home.

Archived