How long does it take??

suzidemars

I'm felting my 1st thing in the wash right now. 1st cycle is done, its a little smaller and REALLY fuzzy. I sent it thru again.

I'm afriad I'm going to empty the hot water heater getting this thing right! Good thing everyone is showered for the day. :eek

Does it take a few rounds?

I think it depends on what yarn and/or color you're using. I felted some knit swatches made out of Paton's merino wool, and Lion Wool. The Paton's felted quickly, although I did put it through again just to really felt it. That one took around 20 minutes of washing total. The Lion wool went through about 3 times before I gave up because it wouldn't felt well. Sometimes the colors matter.

Keep in mind that this is just the way I do it....there is no right or wrong. I don't put mine through a whole wash cycle. I set my machine for the longest wash time. I then check it after 15 mins. I then set the time back to the longest time...and check it every 5 mins or so. When it is felted as much as I want it...I then move the dial to the last spin cycle. Let all the water out. Then put my item back in and let it spin for about 30 seconds to 1 minute or so till all the water is out of it. I have never had anything crease on me doing it this way. I never let it go through a rinse cycle.

Well I think its good.I did use a #5 yarn, its a Llama my SIL gave me from a farm near here. Not a whole Llama...... just the hair. :) Vegtable dyed. I posted about the stash in Yarn talk. It went for 3 15 min cycles on hot.

Anyway its still really hairy but its shrunk a whole inch. I've seen people say they will shave it, how do you do that? My sweater shaver thing is useless.

Anyway its still really hairy but its shrunk a whole inch. I've seen people say they will shave it, how do you do that? My sweater shaver thing is useless.

I've never shaved any of my felted items, but here's a link to a thread about this subject:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63275&highlight=shave

apparently you can use those disposable razors - but poster said it was best to shave when your felted item was still damp.

I'm thinking I will wait until Saturday. The piece is for my SIL and she will be here. If she likes it the way it is we'll sew a button on it and send her off with it. If she wants to goof with it some more we'll do that. Will it still work if I let it dry til then and throw it in the wash again if she wants?

It should work again another day. When I looked into felting I found 3 good tips. Everything I've tried has felted up nicely useing these tips.

1. put it in pillow case, zipper closed if you have one-to keep the fuzz out of your washing machine.

2. add a little bit of baking soda to the water, something about the water ph it is supposed to help.

3. make sure your using soap, not detergent. I just use a little bit of Dawn dish soap from my kitchen.

Dh looks at me like I am crazy when I grab my baking soda, dish soap and a purse and head the the washing machine. He is alway frustrated when I forget the dish soap in the bathroom.

Archived