Which charities do you crochet for?

Amylu, this is something I've wondered. How do I go about contacting my local hospital to see if they accept baby items? What person/department do you request to speak to, and what do you say?

Can you tell I'm clueless? Ha ha!

I wish I'd more time to do charity crocheting, but as it is, I can only devote time to one charity, so I settled on HAP, for which I make rectangles. The rectangles are assembled into afghans that are delivered to wounded soldiers in military hospitals. The rectangles are fast and easy, and I like the 100% volunteer aspect of it. Plus, because the "put together events" are held every few months, it gives me time to make my rectangles without feeling any pressure, since I know there's time before the next event (if that makes sense). For instance, right now, the next event is in July, which gives me plenty of time to make rectangles. I can do them way before then, of course, but there's no pressure since they won't be used before July. And as we get closer to the 'deadline', I get motivated to finish my rectangles, so this really works for me. :)

I also occasionally make squares for comfortghans posted here on Crochetville.

TeaLady,

You can just call the hospital and ask if they have a Volunteer Services department. Most large ones do. If they do not, ask to speak with someone in the NICU. They will be able to tell you if they accept hand-made donations.

A Volunteer Services director can tell you info such as if they have a group that meets at the hospital to crochet, where to drop off your items, etc. The hospital where my daughter stayed in the NICU, actually takes donated crocheted/knitted items and sells them once a month to visitors, then donates the money to a general hospital fund. I didn't want to do that so they said in that case to mark my delivery bag to be given directly to the NICU, to not be sold--so watch for things like that.

Both my kids were NICU babies and their donated items hold a dear place in my heart.

Good luck and have fun!

I don't donate to any one particular charity. I just find someone who could use some cheer and comfort, sometimes it's a stranger, sometimes a friend of a friend. There's always a place to give.

Amylu, this is something I've wondered. How do I go about contacting my local hospital to see if they accept baby items? ...

Here's an organization that lists hospitals, who to contact, what they need, etc. Maybe you can find a local hospital on the list. The site also has easy patterns:

http://www.carewear.org/index.cfm?pid=_hospitals.cfm

I crochet baby hats and sweaters for my sister's church, which donates to various organizations, such as Afghans for Afghans, and local hospital nurseries.

I make hats for NICU/PICU babies through CareWear. Through them I was able to find the contact for the hospital where my daughter stayed for a few weeks after being born. I love love love being able to do this.

Since I'm so new, I guess I better trot on over to the charity part of the forum.

Archived