Frustrated, but still trying

buggaboosmommy

I'm so frustrated over this thread crochet project. It's my first one and will possibly be the last..but I'm determined to finish it. I'm working on one of the crocheted family names for a friends wedding. I'm ready to just pay someone to make it for me, but I know I want to make it myself. :angry Any pointers??

Donna

It's hard to explain. I have never worked with thread and such a small hook, it's a bit overwhelming and I guess I'm second guessing myself. I have a pattern, but find myself blowing my bangs up and saying forget it:( I'm going to finish it..one way or another. I just had to gripe about it for a bit I suppose ;)

Donna

I understand!! :)

How far along are you? Are you working it in #10 or #20 thread? If you weren't very far in, I'd suggest #5 but you'd have to adjust the pattern or it would end up huge, heh!

A couple of things that keep me from going totally crazy while working with thread:

* bright light so I don't have to squint

* lots of breaks to keep my eyes from hurting

* good thread + a comfortable hook (steel hook with a cushion or one of my inox hooks)

I hope it's a short last name! :) You can do it! I can't wait to see it. ;)

Hi Donna,

I second Jess... It's amazing the difference a slightly bigger hook can make. I have a really hard time with 10 thread and the typically recommended 7 or 8 size hook. I just can't seem to grab the thread well with the hook. (Luckily for me, I crochet so tightly, that I need a bigger hook to get gauge.) Good luck! :)

HI Donna,

Don't give up! I was so happy when I finished my thread doily this past week which was my first thread project! I was ready to quit a few times and thanks to help from Vera on understanding my pattern when I got stuck and frustrated, I was able to persevere and get to the end! Once finished I was able to see what an amazing item I created and have done a few small bookmarks etc since - even though, like you, I swore at one point that the doily would be the first and the last!

:cheer Keep going! :cheer It will be well worth it to finish!

:cheer Donna :cheer

You can do it Donna! Try a hook cushion like Jess mentioned if you haven't already, I think they can make a big difference in how you hold the hook which makes a big difference in your enjoyment level of the project. Have you tried playing with the thread, just making small squares of the stitch you're working on until you're really comfortable with it? It's REALLY hard to hang on to thread stuff when it's open stitches in the pattern so I can know the frustration level that builds with it sometimes. Snowflakes can be really a pain to do sometimes but definitely worth it in the end. Don't give up, one day you'll be flying along with it and you'll realize it isn't bad anymore, but it does take time to get to that comfort level when it's your first project. Put on some music that you really like, grab a cup of coffee or beverage of choice and just relax with it. It'll be your friend before you know it. :hug:cheer

dont give up!! I had to use bright light and a magnifier the first time I crocheted w/thread. But now I can do it just fine w/only my glasses LOL. It does get easier.You can do it!!!!!!!!

kellyv

Archived