broomstick lace

shelly_bean

first I must be crazy as I am about to make a scarf for my friend with this stitch ( i will post pics when finished promise:D)

but questions. is there an easy/different way than how I am doing it?

Currently I am using a size 50 knitting needle to place the loops on ( i like that size of loop plus I won't be working it too long using that rather than a smaller needle) but I seem to have issues with getting them to stay the same size, if i pull to tight on the yarn then the stitches become too tight to pull off. Should I just let them be on the needle as I am adding stitches?

also my needle has this giant point so i have to really stretch the loop then tighten it when it gets over the handle part, does anyone know of a different brand ( i am using yarn bee knitting needles.) that might have a shorter point? TIA

I did a lot of broomstick lace one summer, and I just cut off about two feet of an actual broom handle because I was on a farm 20 miles from town. Cut a tennis ball to go over the rough end (like people do for the ends of walkers sometimes) and the rounded end worked great for me.

• 4 years later...

For broomstick lace, you can use anything that will give you the size loops you want. I've been making bracelets with thread using this stitch, and I didn't have any knitting needles, so I ended up using hot glue sticks ;). Anything round ( or even square!) will work, just be creative

I think that each time you add a loop, pull it snug. That way nothing is TOO tight.

Good luck!!

For broomstick lace, you can use anything that will give you the size loops you want. I've been making bracelets with thread using this stitch, and I didn't have any knitting needles, so I ended up using hot glue sticks ;). Anything round ( or even square!) will work, just be creative

I think that each time you add a loop, pull it snug. That way nothing is TOO tight.

Good luck!!

That is a good idea for cotton (thread or worsted) but is a little off for yarn that stretches. Since the yarn is heavier it pulls the stitches tight as you go with just the weight of the project. Sometimes I have to make sure the later rows are looser as I slide them onto the needle and just let the weight do the rest.

I did a lot of broomstick lace one summer, and I just cut off about two feet of an actual broom handle because I was on a farm 20 miles from town. Cut a tennis ball to go over the rough end (like people do for the ends of walkers sometimes) and the rounded end worked great for me.

I made my own using a quarter inch round dowel and glued a large bead to one end. I sanded the open end to ensure there was nothing rough to snag the yarn. Another idea is to use a rubber band on the open end to hold the loops on if you ever have to put work down for awhile

first I must be crazy as I am about to make a scarf for my friend with this stitch ( i will post pics when finished promise:D)

but questions. is there an easy/different way than how I am doing it?

Currently I am using a size 50 knitting needle to place the loops on ( i like that size of loop plus I won't be working it too long using that rather than a smaller needle) but I seem to have issues with getting them to stay the same size, if i pull to tight on the yarn then the stitches become too tight to pull off. Should I just let them be on the needle as I am adding stitches?

also my needle has this giant point so i have to really stretch the loop then tighten it when it gets over the handle part, does anyone know of a different brand ( i am using yarn bee knitting needles.) that might have a shorter point? TIA

With yarn (just like any crochet) you just have to find the right tension. I usually don't pull it tight, as the weight of the project does that itself.

I try to make the loops at the same tightness as the first row.

post-14620-135897763397_thumb.jpg

About 19 years ago I had my hubby saw the end off an old broom....used that to make my baby to be a blanket. Baby was a still born so we buried her with the blanket. I still have the broomstick still and haven't used it since.

About 19 years ago I had my hubby saw the end off an old broom....used that to make my baby to be a blanket. Baby was a still born so we buried her with the blanket. I still have the broomstick still and haven't used it since.

What a heart breaking experience. :hug

Archived