Help again?

suzidemars

I'm so sorry to keep asking so many ?? on the same dumb doily!

I'm getting so frustrated, I'm new to this but I'm thinking this pattern was either not written carefully, or should not be marked for a beginner.

Here's my directions. I'm so close to done....

Edging

Rnd 1: Working up side of first petal, attach maize with a sl st in side of first ch-4 of Row 1, ch 4, dc in same sp, working along side of petal, [ch 4, *dc in next sp, ch 4, dc in same sp] 7 times, working in tip of petal, ch 4, {dc, ch 1} 5 times, dc in same sp, working along other side of first petal, rep bet 7 times, ch 1, rep from * around, join to first sl st of rnd.

Rnd 2: Sl st in first sp, *ch 5, sl st in 3rd ch from hook (picot made), ch 2, sk next sp, sc in next sp, rep from * around, join to 3rd ch of beg ch-5, fasten off.

In the 1st round, on the 1st side of the petal, it lookes like there should be a ch 4 between each and every dc. But when it has you go back down the other side, is "rep bet 7 times" supposed to read rep bet [ ] 7 times? If so, when you move on to the next petal, and repeat from *, you miss the ch 4 between every other dc. When you look at the pic, it looks like there is only a ch 4 between every other dc. I'm not comfortable yet with making the decision that the pattern is wrong.

Here's the link, I really hope someone can help. If you click on the pic it's bigger.

http://promotions.drgnetwork.com/newsletters/talkingcrochet/pages/TCNL1907_patt.html

first of all.. there is no such thing as a dumb doily! they're all crafty lil buggers dontcha know?! :D

i've tried looking at the pic, but i think it hasn't been blocked properly, some petals look like there is a 4ch between each dc, but others look like 4ch between every other dc.

i have a feeling it should be 4ch between every other dc, otherwise the pattern would have read *4ch, 1dc, repeat from* xx times. JMHO

whichever way you choose to do it, i think the second row can be adjusted by going by how the picture looks.

It is repeat between the [] 7 times, then for the next petal repeat from the *

I did this doily too as a "beginner" piece, and it was much harder than any other ones I have done since, all with intermediate labels. Plus there are errors, but I don't remember where I put my notes. Thank goodness for the pic. Does my answer help, because I kept getting turned around.

Oh if you ever find your notes I would jump for joy! I hate to "wing it" and not have it work out. I want to make them for Christmas gifts, and I was cruising along so fast on the first few rounds. Then I had 1 speedbump, but wored it out. The pineapple directions were a little wierd but I figured them out, mostly. This border is just icing my cake of frustration!!!!

Can you think of any other patterns (free) online that would be a little less irritating?? I feel like I need a hug every time I put it down! :hug

Looks like you have a ch 4 between each? Maybe?

I'm thinking I will do 1 petal 1 way, the second petal the other, do the 2nd round on both of them, and decide. That way I don't have a whole doily to tear out if I don't like the 1st result.

Then I will find a new doily pattern (maybe in a book thats been proofread!) and burn this pattern. :devil

Thanks so much for your time! I'd post what I have so far but I'm not allowed to yet.

I tried the edging both ways. I ended up doing the ch 4 only between every other dc, that makes the picots in the next rounds point up over the 2 dc's next to each other and it really looks ok! I can't post attchments but if I ever figure out photobucket or something I will try that.

Thanks again everyone! :cheer

I haven't done this one, looks like too many ends to tie in when you're done..lol

But from reading the directions you posted, it looks like there is a ch-4 between each dc. and you're correct about them leaving out the [] for the bet part. Looking at the picture provided with the pattern, it looks like there is a ch-4 between each dc.

I hope this helps and that you're able to complete this doily to your satisfaction!

Archived