The Turning Chain

I have been crocheting for a while and believe that I am an good intermediate crocheter, BUT I have a questions regarding the turning chain. I know it can be substitured for a stitch on the row, but does it matter if you chain the turning chain and then turn your work, or turn your work and then chain the turning chain?? The pattern usually tells you what to do, and patterns go either way, but does it matter? What' the difference between turning your work first or after??? Does it twist the chain differently? Does it matter if you do one or the other??

I'd like to hear from you all! :blush

turn and chain?

chain and turn?

either way it can be difficult, especially for newer crocheters or with specialty yarns, to find the "top of the turning chain" which of course also counts as your first stitch.

i just tried it and saw no difference in what i ended up with as far as the 'twist of the chain'

seems most patterns tell you to do the chain and then turn

i'm using Lily Chin's technique of blowing off the turning chain, turning the work, single crochet into the first stitch and then chain two (this would be when working in dc) which gets rid of the gap that you generally have at the end of the tc rows

i'm using Lily Chin's technique of blowing off the turning chain, turning the work, single crochet into the first stitch and then chain two (this would be when working in dc) which gets rid of the gap that you generally have at the end of the tc rows

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the thoughts! I usually chain then turn also, but I love the thought of the Lily Chin technique! I hate the gap the chain creates also, can't wait to try it! Thanks! :clap

:cheerI CH then turn because that is what all patterns used to say so that is the habit you get into. Now they can be printed both ways so you do what you are comfortable with.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to be sure to turn in the same direction each time because that does make a difference.

If you are consistent, you will get a much neater edge.

I CH then turn my work in and anti-clockwise direction which makes the front of the CH face you when you get back to that end of the row. Makes it much easier to put your hook into the top of the turning CH.

Have a look at this video which I made ages ago, when there was a discussion about grip.

It is not such a great video but you can see the direction I turn my work at the end of each row and also how easy I can get into the top of the turning Chain at the end of the row.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/?action=view&current=Swimmingsocceretc.flv

You may be able to actually see all of my album from this link.

There are a few samples where I have been showing people how to do things but there is a lot of completed items too plus pics of my mum and grandies.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

That sounds really useful and will have to try that out ! Thanks for posting :clap

Archived