A comfortghan is an afghan made with lots of love and well wishes. It's usually made by many/several people who donate squares and send them to a mutual friend or family member who requests the comfortghan be made due to illness or death in a family. It is then put together and given to the bereaved person(s). I received one several years ago when my mother passed away and it means the world to me. Knowing that my 'crochet friends online' were giving me hugs & comfort in my time of despair.

So for you to get one made for your sister, you need put out the word for help in a comfortghan and your sister/brother crocheters will come to your aid. Let us know what size squares, colors, yarn and motifs (if any) you want the squares to be and we'll get started. And how many squares you'll need is important.

I hope I explained it ok.

Ok got a question for Donna (Yarntomato), can we use that red and pink pattern that you have for the square on this page (towards the bottom): http://www.yarntomato.com/2005/04/comfortghan-for-kate.html
Of course you can! That is the Friendship Jewel Square from Kimberly's Free Patterns. You can do it in any colors you want, of course.

Archived