Lion Suede Substitute

dedekorz

Hi All, I need some suggestions. I want to make the coat in the "Swanky Suede" little book, but it calls for Lion Brand Suede. I can't afford to buy the amount of yarn for this calls for (15 skeins @ Walmart price of $5.42 a skein) I want to use my stash, (which I have 12 super large bins of,) but most of it is acrylic and/or blended,some wool,& baby yarn. I can adapt to make the gauge the same, but will it look OK using acrylic yarn? Should I use 2 strands together or just 1? Please help! Thanks, Dee

i'm using the suede right now. it's not a thick yarn. it's the same thickness as like a worsted weight yarn.

FYI: LB suede is hard to work with. i don't like it. but i bought it to make this afghan and i'm going to finish it but after that, i'm never using it again.

FYI: LB suede is hard to work with. i don't like it. but i bought it to make this afghan and i'm going to finish it but after that, i'm never using it again.

For real??? Dang. I just won some via e-Bay 'cause it looked so soft and such. I was ISO a teal yarn to go with a new handkerchief skirt I just purchased. Are you willing to share specifics about what is hard with it?

Ya can never tell by just looking can ya?

I like the Lion Brand Suede yarn. I have not had any problems working with it. I am using an older plastic hook. Frogging it can be a little tense. I know, I had to frog 38 rows on the coat I am making because I drop 3 stitches!! That'll teach me to check my stitch count every couple of rows!

[quote name='ngold004']I don't know about substitutes, but Ollie's Bargin Outlet has LB Suede for $1 this week (and probably their normal price).

[URL]http://www.olliesbargainoutlet.com/[/URL][/quote]
this is cool. An Ollies is very near me but in a direction I don't usually go (that is it is south of me and I usually travel north for shopping) I'll be checking this store out soon!

Archived