Educate me about thread size

wendymarie37

All I've ever seen in stores here is size 10. So is 20 and 30 smaller? I used some gold with bright cole tinsel recently and that said 5 on it and it was slightly lager.

I went to a craft store and looked but it wasn't a chain store and they only had 10. Would Michael's or AC Moore carry more?

With crochet thread, the larger the number is, the thinner (or smaller) the thread is. I know Michaels tends to carry more of a variety of sizes of threads, I haven't been in an AC Moore in so long, I couldn't tell you for sure about them.

Hope this helps!

oldbaglady gave you the correct size info.

Finding threads smaller and larger than a size 10 locally can be a challenge. here is a good online source of thread. http://www.hhtatting.com/

Our Joann's and Michaels don't carry much except some size 10 and the color selection is nothing to write home about.

With crochet thread, the larger the number is, the thinner (or smaller) the thread is. I know Michaels tends to carry more of a variety of sizes of threads, I haven't been in an AC Moore in so long, I couldn't tell you for sure about them.

Hope this helps!

This is the correct info. If you are looking for other threads your best bet is yarn specialty shops. There are lots of thinner (size 20) on ebay, and the prices are very reasonable. Just watch the shipping costs, that can make it so it is not worth while.

Archived