Baby clothes CAL

laughlovehook

I'm sure you've seen my "OMGosh OMGosh" thread...:cheer Hubby and I are expecting our 2nd child around the end of June next year. And I'd like to have a nice supply of clothes for the little one. So since I'm 4 weeks right now, I figure I have 9 *lunar* months left to make a whole collection.

I'd like to have some people working along with me, that might help me keep going. I want to make a few blankets, hats and booties. But mostly sweaters, pants, shorts and dresses. We could make a list of some good patterns and go from there. I may even make a few stuffies for the babe.

I'll probably start out with some smaller sizes, newborn and up to 3 months. And then as I get further along, make some larger sizes.

Does anyone want to join me? We'll have picture friday's like some of the other CAL's. Mostly so I have to be accountable for what I'm making.

Congrats by the way!!:dance

I'm a mommy to a 9 1/2 month old, Ruby Claire, so I would love to join you but I just learned to crochet so I might be doing more of the blankets and simple stuff... Maybe I can find an easy poncho or hat pattern to start on. I really want to make dresses but I'm not there yet skillwise.

Congrats by the way!!:dance

I'm a mommy to a 9 1/2 month old, Ruby Claire, so I would love to join you but I just learned to crochet so I might be doing more of the blankets and simple stuff... Maybe I can find an easy poncho or hat pattern to start on. I really want to make dresses but I'm not there yet skillwise.

Thanks and Welcome. There are some very simple dress patterns that are out there. You may find one you're able to do.

I'm in until I finish a few projects! I'm making the Baby Blues dress for my 18mod from last month's Crochet Today. I am new to crochet too, and I LOVE THIS PATTERN! imadalfn2, you can do this one! I have thought of sooo many different ways I can use this pattern~for two different tops and a skirt!

Once I finish this dress I will be making a hat and Mary Jane booties for a friend's baby shower coming up the first weekend in November. Of course I also wanna make Mary Jane's for my Hazel to match her dress! It will be FUN to check in with a group as I go! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Congrats!! :yay DH and I are trying now that he's back (I have 3 boys from my previous marriage, but this will be his first). I'm so happy for you. :clap

I'm in on the CAL. I love making baby hats and blankies. I have a photographer friend who uses them in her shoots. Are there any particular patterns, yarns or categories? I haven't made any clothes yet, but I've been wanting to try.

Yay! This will be fun. :hook

Well, I'm always working on something baby since I've got one, so I guess I'm in. Right now I've got some mary janes going. The pattern is here. http://newthingcrochet.blogspot.com/2007/04/crochet-pattern-for-baby-mary-jane.html

IMO every baby girl needs some mary janes. DD has outgrown all hers from last year so I need to make another batch but of course everyone I know with a baby girl wants some too! If anyone makes these, you might have to change the hook size. My gauge has changed a lot since I made the pattern and I'm finding out that DD has very small feet compared to other babies so take that into consideration. Right now I'm using a size 6 steel hook to make ones that fit a regular 4 month old and they fit DD who is 10 months old.

Well, I'm always working on something baby since I've got one, so I guess I'm in. Right now I've got some mary janes going. The pattern is here. http://newthingcrochet.blogspot.com/2007/04/crochet-pattern-for-baby-mary-jane.html

Those are so adorable! I haven't had much luck crocheting with thread, but I may have to give it another go and try out your pattern. Thanks so much for sharing. Beautiful work!

I just found this board today...while searching for crochet patterns...I'm expecting a little girl in January. My DS was 9lbs 6oz when he was born and newborn hats were WAY too small for him, so that's my big project right now. I started a hat last night I thought I'd have enough yarn for...but I was wrong. I've also made her a dress, but am working to find a good sweater to go with it. I am DEFINATELY going to make those mary jane booties to go with the dress! I haven't tried to crochet with thread yet. I'm just now getting confident enough to make something other than an afghan!

I just found this board today...while searching for crochet patterns...I'm expecting a little girl in January. My DS was 9lbs 6oz when he was born and newborn hats were WAY too small for him, so that's my big project right now. I started a hat last night I thought I'd have enough yarn for...but I was wrong. I've also made her a dress, but am working to find a good sweater to go with it. I am DEFINATELY going to make those mary jane booties to go with the dress! I haven't tried to crochet with thread yet. I'm just now getting confident enough to make something other than an afghan!

Welcome! I know exactly what you mean about newborn clothes/hats. My first son was 10lb 7oz, and the other 2 were 10lb each. They were born looking like 3mo babies! Obviously the size "newborn" is subjective. :lol My DH is a big guy, so I'm expecting the next baby to be just as big as the others. And maybe a girl this time? That'd be nice. Congratulations on your soon-to-arrive bundle of joy.

Wow...10lbs 7oz makes my guy seem little! hehe! The fact that your second two were smaller gives me hope :) I'd be happy with an 8 pounder...

I started a sweater tonight to go with the dress I already made...we'll see how it goes! So far it's going okay! I tried to go to Michael's tonight to get some more of the soft $1 yarn they had...and they didn't have it anymore...I have to go to a different store. I was using the cha-cha yarn to make hats...I made one for my 4 yo and it was so soft and it stretched just enough...I have one more ball of it to use to make a hat, but I was hoping for a half dozen or so!

I am actually concerned about sizing too. I am making a hat from the Stitch 'N B book, and the size says 0-6 mos. I thought about using a bigger hook, as my friend has larger babies like I do. Any thoughts? Same with booties~my children have NEVER been able to fit newborn booties! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

How are we doing here, ladies? I'm about halfway finished with the Cool Stripes Hat. I'm using Caron SS in Limelight, Blue Mint and Lemonade.

I also finished up the Baby Ruffled Sun Hat in SS Lemonade.

For those worried about sizes, I found a very helpful chart for baby measurements that I've been using. I should have posted it before...duh! :blush

I will post pix once I finish up the Cool Stripes. Next on my list is the Newborn Santa Hat. I made one already, but my photographer friend absconded with it for a photo prop. So it's time to make another.

I hope you're all coming along well with your projects. Keep us posted.

I am also wondering about sizing but that chart seems very helpful! I picked up a book this weekend with some very simple patterns so I will take it to my crochet group and try to run through it with them for help. Sonia, the lady who started our group, is super sweet so I am sure she will help. I think I will be trying to make a purple dress. Woo Hoo!:cheer

Over the weekend I did the pink/brown/white hat from Stitch'n B, and I did these Mary Jane's in the same three colors: http://www.geocities.com/gossgirl2/fakemjs.htm I so wish I had a digital camera! I am still working on Hazel's dress and already have found a pretty purple yarn combination I'd like to do another one with.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

ETA that I'm really excited, because this is the first hat I've ever done and the first booties/slippers! WOOHOOO! and they're not perfect, but I've gotten really good reviews from my friends. ~proud smile~

• 1 month later...
Are we still working on this? Obviously I didn't get any pix posted yet. I promise to do that tomorrow. Anyone else have some stuff ready to post?

I kind of lost all my motivation for working on the baby clothes as we lost the pregnancy. But others are welcome to keep working on things and posting progress if you wish.

Archived