I have my 2nd victim...I mean student :)

Knit Happens

Haha. I taught my niece to knit, and knit stitch only (= garter). I showed her how to cast on for a while, then cast on for her in a lovely bulky forgiving yarn and showed her the knit stitch, and she got it straight away. She finished her scarf over a few weeks of knitting a bit here and there. She kept saying she wanted to do more, and we bought some thick sage green yarn to make some potholders for her mom....and months later the yarn sits here at my house untouched....when I asked her recently she said..."Aunt Donna...knitting is a little....boring. :P Okay...maybe to a 12 y.o. So, I tend to knit during lunch. There's a security guard (female) who kept commenting on wanting to learn so I finally said....would you like me to teach you and she said...oh my, would you? So, we met today in a lunchroom and I taught her casting on (long tail style) and she got it right away. She casted on 25 stitches by herself....it was really cool to see her hands go from being very stiff to maneuvering almost in full circles to accomplish the cast on. I was doing the same right along side her. Then I showed her knit stitch, English style. Within the hour, she had done the cast on and 4 rows of garter!!! She did really well...I was impressed with her. I gave her the skein of yarn and a pair of needles and said if you like it and want to continue, that's my gift to you. If you hate it, you've put no $ out and can return the supplies to me. I think she liked it tho. We're meeting again tomorrow. While I did briefly illustrate continental style and combined style just before the hour was up, I personally think English style garter stitch is the best way for a first timer...the stitches are more even and the needles seem more stable, at least to me. I had made up a swatch for her of garter, then stockinette - - to show her when she flipped it over that reverse stockinette is almost garter...and ended with k1,p1 ribbing...and gave her a couple of websites to check as well. When it was all said and done, she said she liked it, will practice some tonight, and that I was "a really good teacher." It made me feel good!!!!:clap

I really did enjoy it. We did it again today. I showed her how to cast off. She did, then cast on a new swatch to practice. I showed her purl and gave her a few more sheets of direction, information and websites. I'll be "teaching" a friend of a friend crochet soon. She saw a lapghan I made and wanted one...she said she did a little crochet in the past, so perhaps this will be a refresher and I'll show her the pattern to make the blanket and she'll be on her own. It is enjoyable tho to show someone something you really enjoy and see that they are enjoying it as well.

thats wonderful

you are so kind to accept teaching others

actully if you wanted to advice someone far away from you who wants to learn there are the in motion collection dvd`s although i`m an arabic girl and english my second language but the directions are soooooooo clear and the lessons are awsome

i`ve left knitting for a while and now ifeel i forgot

those dvd`s are a gr8 deal

i`m proud to have such a gr8 peaple to share my hubby with :hug

god bless you keep going

and for any help or ideas plz feel free to ask we are here to support you sis

Archived