Lots of Crocheted Items at Local Craft Fair

birdlady1

The Friends of Littleton Museum sponsors one of the largest outdoor craft fairs in the metro area. It was today (Saturday, October 6th) and it was wonderful. I think there were over 200 booths, with everything ranging from Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas decorations (all handmade) to tons of jewelry, pottery, photography, and clothing (for humans and cats and dogs).

It seemed every other booth had crocheted scarves using my "favorite" (not!) yarn -- fun fur. There truly was a glut of scarves and I wonder if anyone sold even a single scarf. I know they were very popular until a few years ago but, honestly, they're not very popular anymore. (I see a ton of them at the thrift stores.) So I don't think I'll make any for my upcoming shows.

There was one booth dedicated to amigurumi. Apparently she was doing fairly well and she had everything from dolls to animals. (I didn't check her prices, sorry.) I'm not a big fan of amigurumi so I didn't get any ideas for future projects.

I just did a show, Saturday, and one both had nothing but crocheted items. My main product is jewelry, but I tried my hand at crocheted scarves. Sold one. Here I bought all this fancy yarn, just to make scarves. D'OH!

Margie:mouse

I just did a show, Saturday, and one both had nothing but crocheted items. My main product is jewelry, but I tried my hand at crocheted scarves. Sold one. Here I bought all this fancy yarn, just to make scarves. D'OH!

Margie:mouse

Margie, you're not alone. I also bought a lot of fancy yarn when scarves were still very popular and you couldn't keep them on the shelves. I still have a ton of 'em I made for my craft shows. I'm thinking of sewing them together to make a (very unusual) afghan.

I agree that fun fur scarves have passed their prime. I have been taking apart some that I had, and using the yarn for accents on purses or capes. Somewhere I saw someone say they made entire purses from fun fur. I am going to try that. I bought a bunch of matrix yarn for a dollar a roll. Hoping to make something sellable from them. They are so pretty but such a pain to work with. In the past, have made open-work ponchos with fringe, that sold. Trouble is, you have to double tie each fringe.

Glenda

Archived