The Incredibly Versatile Giant Snowflake CAL

HappyBunny

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how long is this project taking to complete about? How many hours total? I want to make one, but I hafta sneak in a couple quickies...too many big wips right now.

SophieUK can probably give you a better idea of time on this project. She's the only one who's working straight thru on it. I can tell you that it is an easy project to put down and start again later because of the rounds. It's a really easy fun pattern!:yes

Kim

as for time spent crocheting I would say that I spent 6 to 8 hours on it, I tend to go a bit tunnel vision when I crochet and loose sense of time so it might be a bit more, no more then 10 though. It is very easy to put down and pick back up to (if you can let yourself!)

I also found the instructions for the 3rd round a little confusing as she writes work into in every ch2 space and then later in every sp. I think she meant every ch2sp as I had a look at the larger diagram and the snowflake is only in 6 sections up until round 6 and thats where you split into 12 sections.

sorry guys, I feel like the bearer of bad news, I hope you can sort it. Mine is by no means perfect I lost count on a few areas and have an extra picot or 2 on 1 row and I was also making mine out of scraps, the middle is grey, then I tried to finish in green and ran out again so finished in an ever so slightly different grey! I really like it, but it aint perfect!

I'm gonna try and take some pictures now! good luck all

as for time spent crocheting I would say that I spent 6 to 8 hours on it, I tend to go a bit tunnel vision when I crochet and loose sense of time so it might be a bit more, no more then 10 though. It is very easy to put down and pick back up to (if you can let yourself!)

I also found the instructions for the 3rd round a little confusing as she writes work into in every ch2 space and then later in every sp. I think she meant every ch2sp as I had a look at the larger diagram and the snowflake is only in 6 sections up until round 6 and thats where you split into 12 sections.

sorry guys, I feel like the bearer of bad news, I hope you can sort it. Mine is by no means perfect I lost count on a few areas and have an extra picot or 2 on 1 row and I was also making mine out of scraps, the middle is grey, then I tried to finish in green and ran out again so finished in an ever so slightly different grey! I really like it, but it aint perfect!

I'm gonna try and take some pictures now! good luck all

Thanks Sophie! I'm going to keep going with mine the way it is and just adjust when I need to....mine won't be perfect either but I bet they'll all be gorgeous!!

Kim

ok I have some pictures. they aren't great but hopefully they'll show it enough!

I was struggling with imageshack so I've put them on my facebook, hopefully everyone can see them, let me know if not

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8730&l=68c7e&id=508711661

Sophie, it's gorgeous!! :clap You did a great job. I especially liked the pic of you peaking thru one of the holes....:lol I thought the colors you used were really nice and made the border really stand out.

I'm going to get mine out tonight and see how much progress I can make!

Kim

yes, I did. It goes much faster when you only have 6 sections instead of 12 too. I had gotten to row 6 before I frogged it.

Thanks, I think I'll ahead and frog too since I haven't gotten real far on it!

Kim

yes, I did. It goes much faster when you only have 6 sections instead of 12 too. I had gotten to row 6 before I frogged it.

You're right, it goes much faster with the 6 sections! I finished the other WIP I was working on and now I can just work on this. Hope to have it done this weekend!

Anyone else still working on theirs?

Kim

Well, after much frogging I'm now back on Row 11 and it's really looking good!:yes I need to take a break because I think my eyeballs are going to fall out of my head from staring at that pattern for so long;) ....but I'm going to pick it back up later. Can't wait to finish and post pics!:cheer

Kim

Me again.:) I'm finishing up the last round! I thought I would be finished on Sunday but I ended up having to frog round 16 and 17 three times before I got it right....:angry :angry :angry ......But now I'm almost done and love how it looks!

I'll post a pic either later today or tomorrow! :cheer

Kim

wow kin, that looks stunning! I think the white really shows the pattern well (i really don't wear white!) and yours looks soo neat! it was worth frogging I think as it looks fab!

do we get to see you wearing it yet? have you found yourself in a tangle trying to get it on and off?

wow kin, that looks stunning! I think the white really shows the pattern well (i really don't wear white!) and yours looks soo neat! it was worth frogging I think as it looks fab!

do we get to see you wearing it yet? have you found yourself in a tangle trying to get it on and off?

Hi Sophie, I don't wear white very much either but I wanted to do it like it was in the pattern. And yes I tried putting it on and it was alot of work!:yes

I found that my figure is a little too 'mature' to wear it so I'm thinking of giving it to my niece who is tiny. I may make another one in a color I like with a softer yarn. The Lion Brand Woolease is easy to work with but doesn't have much stretch too it. I think I'm going to try it again in a softer stretchier yarn with a larger hook to get a bigger size. I really like your gray yarn! :yay

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

Kim, your snowflake is absolutely gorgeous, too bad you don't get to wear it!

I might try it in white next time!

So basically this person is just wearing an incrediably large snowflake?

Donna' date=' you made me lol!

ok I have some pictures. they aren't great but hopefully they'll show it enough!

I was struggling with imageshack so I've put them on my facebook, hopefully everyone can see them, let me know if not

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8730&l=68c7e&id=508711661

I love the yarn you used! The contrasting colour does make the pattern stand out!

I struggled with the picot count too, I had to draw a symbol graph to sort it out and it felt ... I mean it read much better!

Did anyone else think Round 12 was never going to end?:eek All those picots and double crochets! I'm so glad I'm past that round.:yay

I love this pattern!:cheer

Kim

:yes I did!

Kim

I struggled with the picot count too, I had to draw a symbol graph to sort it out and it felt ... I mean it read much better!

:yes I did!

I'm so glad to hear I wasn't the only one who struggled with round 12!

Kim

I haven't signed up for this CAL yet so here is my official "I'm in."

I started working on the snowflake last night, and am almost finished!!!

That's great!!:cheer Post pics when you're done...it's so much fun to see how everyone's snowflake turns out. What yarn are you using?

Kim

Archived