Vinegar Question

OctoberWinter

I've never dyed yarn, but going back to my tie-dye experience... I believe the vinegar sets the color so that it won't come out the first time you wash it. I could be wrong though and it wouldn't be the first time (but don't tell DH).

Kool Aid has enough acid in it that you should be ok, the citric acid is to add tartness to the flavor.

Thanks Kathy, Is there anything extra I should do to make sure the colors are set and don't bleed? I am thinking of crocheting a bag and felting it. The colors are going to be green and blue. I was hoping for green (Watermelon Kiwi Kool-aid) and red (Raspberry Reaction Kool-aid) but apparently raspberries are blue these days!! I still think it will look cool. Thanks again so much, Anna

If a dye recipe calls for vinegar, you should use. It does set the color. Even when you use it, before you ever wash an article for the first time, soak it overnight in cold salt water, then wash as you usually would. The color will never run. This works well on cloth also. I've used it for yrs. on jeans, anything red etc.

Archived