yarns from China

I was looking at the growing pile of baby things I've hooked for my legacy box and the news was on the TV about another recall of toys made in China. That got me to wondering: what about the dye used in the yarns and threads that I used to make those outfits that my future grandchildren may put in their sweet little mouths?

the labels on my threads and yarns only give the address of the company that sells them, not where they're manufactured.

and even if a label tells the manufacture location it doesn't mean they necessarily use local dyes.

so I wonder who makes the dyes that go into our yarns and threads?

and should we be concerned?

That's a very good point. I just hope that our local manufacturer doesn't use imported dyes from China. We better be cautious and it would be such a waste if the cute little items won't be used in the future.

Call the manufacturer. There should be a customer service number some place. Any company worth their salt should have an answer for this question by now. If they don't have one handy, escalate the call till you get someone who CAN answer you.

My thoughts are that it's unlikely that yarn will be an issue. But if you need reassurance, give the company a call.

I'm about 90% sure that yarn dyes would not be a problem. The reason they use led in paints is to get the opaque 'white' base. It's not some random chemical that somehow ends up in paint, but there on purpose as a base for the color. Most dyes that I can think of are not opaque like wall or model paint, but translucent. For an example of what's in dyes, take a look next time you're at JoAnn's or Walmart or wherever they sell Rit dye. That's a fairly typical kind of dye.

Archived