How to decide how much yarn

Hello to all,

I have a quick question: I am used to buying yarn for specific projects and I know how much to buy in advance. But what I am wondering is how do I decide how much to buy to make stuff when I find a great deal that I can't pass up and don't have a specific pattern in mind :lol For example when making my favorite baby shells afghan I know I need almost a pound of baby or sport weight yarn, but what amounts in WW would I need to make a "typical" shawl or long sleeved sweater (size large to x-large) or a purse or tote? Any advice or suggestions??

Guessing what you might need for a future project is not easy. No idea what it will be. I tend to buy 3-4 skeins at a time if I don't have a project in mind - I don't buy for garments without a pattern or plan though. If a great sale, then I will buy more. I don't buy a lot of yarn at one time (rarely) because that means less yarn shopping... I'd rather get 3-4 skeins a week than to go one time & buy 12-15. :lol Plus it "seems" cheaper, even if it equals the same money spent per month LOL

Colors, I buy whatever pops out at me.

I would check out several patterns and see what most of them say. When you buy the yarn, just be sure to buy extra, just in case. It also wouldn't hurt to get a single ball or skein when they first go on sale to work up a gauge swatch, unless you think the yarn will sell out quickly.

You'll laugh when I tell you how much to buy. 10 skeins is my minimum buying on sale. I figure you can make a blanket and more at least with that amount. And when it's $1 or $2 a skein, it isn't that big of a deal to drop the dough.

But then again, that's just me!

:manyheart

When I find a good deal on yarn, it depends on what size skeins they are. If they are small skeins I buy five or six. If they are larger skeins I buy three or four. If it's something in the pound size then I would probably buy one or two. :hook

I found some for 50 cents one time, and bought six in one color and six in another. I still haven't used them. :blush

Archived