Loop-d-loop orange clover vest

skydramini

Question

Has anybody made this?

The assembly is confusing to me; first sweater and of course I had to pick one with inserts.

It says sew shoulder seams, sew sleeve seams and ease sleeve into armhole. There isn't a graphic and I'm wondering if anyone made it and just happened to take pictures of the assembly process. I know: longshot.

Also, I'm a bit miffed that the sizes are much smaller than anticipated. I'm right on gauge but the medium is much smaller than it should be.

6 answers to this question

Is the sleeve made in the round? or is the sleeve seam already sewn up? When assembling in this method, I usually tuck the sleeve inside the sweater, matching up where the side seam and the sleeve seam meet. Then I "pin" the sleeve all around the opening (use stitch markers, safety pins, etc.), easing it as needed. Then I sew all around the opening, sewing the sleeve to the sweater.

Was this supposed to be a close fitting sweater?

The sleeve isn't made in the round. Your tips help, thanks.

It wasn't supposed to be close fitting at all - at worse if it's too small in my taste when finished, I have a small friend with an orange fetish.

This might be a little late if you've already sewed your seams up, but for your NEXT sweater....

I find it easier for sewn (fabric) garments as well as crocheted ones that it's easier to sew the sleeve seam LAST. You work with a more flat seam than trying to sew one tube inside another, which is more awkward.

Sew front & back pieces together at the shoulder seams, then open it up and lay the garment flat, face down. Line up the center top of sleeve (face down) to the outer edge of one of the shoulder seams. Pin the sleeve around the armhole of the garment; it's easier to manage the ease this way. Sew (or crochet) the armhole seam, which will be a U-shaped or straight seam, depending on the pattern (I don't have this specific one to check). Ditto other sleeve.

Then, fold the garment, wrong sides out, bottom hems lined up. Pin/sew together the side seams,continuing with the same seam to complete the underarm seam. Ta daah!

Archived