Trying to Create my first Original pattern

Chris_20

Question

So i'm trying to be creative and create my first original pattern and i have no clue how to start, i'm trying to crochet some clothes for a doll, most likley a 14" doll. i still haven't decided yet, bu ti was wondering if anybody had any tips or site recomondations for creating your own patterns!

thanks

:artist

2 answers to this question

When I'm in the mood to write a pattern, I have a vague idea in mind of what I want to create. Then, I just go at it. Sometimes, there's a fair amount of frogging involved, but I usually end up with something I really like. Not always, but usually.

There's really no right or wrong way to go about designing a pattern, really. I don't worry about writing down instructions after each row, because of said frogging. If that works for you, go for it; if not, do whatever you feel most comfortable with. Either way, you'll have something to be proud of at the end.

For clothing, even for dolls....do you sew? Do you have the doll handy so you can take measurements? I'd start by making a paper pattern first, this will help you figure your gauge, number of stitches/rows needed, etc. and might reduce the frogging a bit.

Sounds like fun, good luck!

Archived