Cute Critter purses help

Jens

Question

I'm trying to make an animal purse from this leisure arts book.

The first 'round' has me stumped.

It says

2 Sc in second ch from hook, sc in each ch across to last ch, 3 sc in last ch; (I have no problem doing this)

This next part is what I'm having trouble with.....

working in free loops of begining ch sc in next 10 chs and in the same st as first sc; do not join, place marker to mark begining of rnd

Can some one explain this to me? I know what the free loop is but I crochet in the 'spine' of the chain (always do) so I have 2 free loops And I have no idea where the begining of the round is because !!! There is NO round....:eek

Thanks in advance

Jen

11 answers to this question

Ok, they are talking about the loop at the bottom of your foundation chain. Flip your work upside down and you will see a single loop all along the edge. You will be crocheting in a "round" buildin on both sides of the beginning chain.

Hope this helps!

Yep! THat's the ticket! The 3 stitches you put in the last chain are going to be forming the "corner" so to speak, that brings you around to the bottom of your piece.

See what I mean?

Glad I could help! I know how it is to want the answer NOW and know you're going to have to wait...LOL... I saw those purses. They are totally cute! Can't wait to see a finished one!

I just got that leaflet and these critter purses are just really cute. Which one are you making? It will be a while before I can start one. Then I will have a hard time deciding which one to do first, they are all so cute.

I'm making the puppy first. Because I just had the yarn in a stash but my girls are wanting the pink pig and the cow. They are really cute!

Well I'm hoping I get the hang of this I'm crocheting around a flat piece that's right isn't it? I've got my marker on the one I started with. Wish me luck! I've never make an animal before. Or a purse. Just started in January so I'm still a newbie.

Jen

Sounds like you are doing it right. You will have increases in each round until you get it big enough then you will stop the increases and just crochet in each stitch and that will make your bag go straight up. Hope that is not confusing. Usually, on the first round it will tell you to crochet in each stitch with increases in the last stitch. Then, it will say to work on the opposite side of the chain. As you work, your project will be going in circles.

The puppy is really cute. I think the piggy may be my favorite. I have made several stuffed piggies and I love 'em. My husband has always raised cows, so I will have to make one of those. But, his favorite is the puppy. I need to get busy making one, but I have so many other projects I am working and on my list 'to do'.

I didn't intend to write so much. I do wish you lots of luck. I know it will turn out so cute. And the next one will be so much easier. :hug

Archived