Hairpin Lace Along

sammimag

Anyone want to learn to do hairpin lace along with me?

There is a really good tutorial video here.

Just a note:

In the video tutorial she goes under both threads of the loop which creates a float on the front and back of the work. I think the more traditional way to do hairpin lace is to go under the front loop.

I want to get good enough with is to make The Seafoam Wrap Skirt here. You will to Scroll down to see it.

As we move along in the CAL I can add more links to this post for patterns and tips.

Come on a join me and share your progress :)

Hi Samantha, I would love to learn along with you! :yes I just ordered a hairpin lace loom from StitchDiva...I paid by check so it will be at least a week before I get it. I'll see if I can find a cheaper one locally until then.

I'll let you know as soon as I have the loom!:yay

Kim

Yeah! I know I have seen them at Hobby Lobby and Michael's and possibly Hancock's Fabrics if you have one. They aren't very expensive at all. I have two of them but never knew what they were until recently. LOL

I used the to make doll hair :)

Yeah! I know I have seen them at Hobby Lobby and Michael's and possibly Hancock's Fabrics if you have one. They aren't very expensive at all. I have two of them but never knew what they were until recently. LOL

I used the to make doll hair :)

I'll be going to Michael's on Saturday so that's perfect! I'll look for it there. I looked for one at JoAnn's last weekend but didn't see them there.

I had seen something like that for making doll hair on one of the doll lists a while back but I had no idea it was for hairpin lace!

Kim:hook

I just started on making this dress:

http://www.stitchdiva.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SDS-034

It's my first stab at hairpin lace. I keep reading about how "easy" and "quick" it is, but this hasn't been my experience so far. Maybe I'm hairpin-lace-challenged. The most aggravating part is when I have to flip the loom. My hook gets all caught up in the lace I've already stitched. It's really annoying. Maybe it's the hook I'm using. I'm using the loom you get from stitch diva.

It gets harder after about 2/3 of the loom is full b/c you have less room for moving the hook to the back of the loom.

Am I the only one who has this problem?

hmmm, I just found this interesting tip:

Cutting the hook to about 4 1/2 inches will make the work go faster and a lot easier for the last 75 loops.

I have no idea how I'm going to cut an aluminum hook. LOL.

I found the tip here: http://serendipity.gpvm.com/hairpinlace.html

I just started on making this dress:

http://www.stitchdiva.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SDS-034

It's my first stab at hairpin lace. I keep reading about how "easy" and "quick" it is, but this hasn't been my experience so far. Maybe I'm hairpin-lace-challenged. The most aggravating part is when I have to flip the loom. My hook gets all caught up in the lace I've already stitched. It's really annoying. Maybe it's the hook I'm using. I'm using the loom you get from stitch diva.

It gets harder after about 2/3 of the loom is full b/c you have less room for moving the hook to the back of the loom.

Am I the only one who has this problem?

I haven't tried it yet! I ordered a loom from StitchDiva but haven't gotten it yet. I also ordered one of the small plastic looms from JoAnn's, I should have that one soon. I've done weaving before (on a big loom) so I'm hoping the hairpin lace will go well. I keep reading too how easy it is...I hope that's right! I'll sure keep in mind the problems you're having and see how it goes. :yes

I'm going to try their free pattern hairpin lace pattern first, the shawl sortof thing. It's smaller and it looks like it's an easier pattern than the dress. The dress is my long term goal!:hook

I'll let you know once I get started. Hope it gets easier for you soon! :cheer

Kim

Welcome racerose:)

I am edging my first hairpin strip which will be a scarf. Then I plan to make a hat to go with it. I'm not sure when I will l get to the skirt I want to make as I want to get a really nice yarn for that.

I'm using a basic loom and as the loom got full I dropped the stitches off the loom, keeping a few on the loom for tension. I also put yarn along the sides as stitch holders for the loops.

It took me some time to get into a rhythm with moving the hook back. It's getting easier and more fluid.

I have a hairpin lace loom, and have tried to do it once. At that particular moment it was late at night and dark, so I didn't have much luck keeping my focus. Would like to try again. The seafoam skirt and the cardi wrap are both enticing me to learn! Count me in.

I like how Sykospark.net's tutorial shows her making the lace above the top bar of the loom. That does make it easier to move the hook to the back of the loom when turning.

However, then you can't use the cool scrap yarn Guidelines that help keep the lace from tangling. (see stitchdiva's tutorial here)

It's getting a little easier, but I must be slow. LOL. The first strip is taking forever and I have to make 5 or 6 strips for the lotus dress.

I got my loom yesterday from JoAnn's and I'm going to do some practice strips on it before I start a project.

What yarn is everyone working with? Anything seem easier to use on the loom?

Thanks!

Kim

I am so glad to see this post here. I do need to purchase another hairpin lace loom as one of my sides are a bit bent due to being shoved here and there and never taking the first step to try and learn. There are several patterns that I would love to try. I found the tutorial from http://www.sykospark.net/hairpin/ to be most helpful to me.

I've been working with the loom and some ww yarn and I am running into a problem...instead of my strip being flat in the middle (where the sc's are) mine is twisted and the sc's are twisting inside the strip of loops (does that make sense to anyone?) I have the basics but I'm doing something wrong, I'm assuming when I turn the loom but for the life of me, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! Has anyone else experienced this and then figured out what was going wrong? Thanks!! Kim

Can you take a picture?

My best guess is you aren't flipping the loom right.

Did you take a look at the video tutorial in the first link and follow along with that one?

Just a note:

In the video tutorial she goes under both threads of the loop which creates a float on the front and back of the work. I think the more traditional way to do hairpin lace is to go under the front loop.

Yes, I watched the video tutorial first. I also read thru the StitchDiva tutorial but decided the video version was easier to follow. LOL, not that it's been that way so far! I took a break from it and am going to try again in a little bit. I'll take a pic if it doesn't turn out right again. I agree with you, I think it's how I'm flipping the loom but can't figure out how what I'm doing is wrong....

Thanks! Kim

My first attempt

The tutorials by Jennifer Hansen in the INTERWEAVE CROCHET Spring 2006 were very helpful to me, especially the parts about attaching a guide line (so your loops don't get tangled when you drop them from the loom).

I finished a strip and still need to take a photo. Will do that a bit later, just wanted to say I actually started this, and it wasn't too difficult.

I haven't been able to view the online tutorials (my PC is not the best), and I do better sitting on my couch with something printed if ya know what I mean.

L

My first attempt

The tutorials by Jennifer Hansen in the INTERWEAVE CROCHET Spring 2006 were very helpful to me, especially the parts about attaching a guide line (so your loops don't get tangled when you drop them from the loom).

I finished a strip and still need to take a photo. Will do that a bit later, just wanted to say I actually started this, and it wasn't too difficult.

I haven't been able to view the online tutorials (my PC is not the best), and I do better sitting on my couch with something printed if ya know what I mean.

L

That first attempt pic looks great! I wish mine looked like that....:think I have a copy of the Spring 2006 issue, I'll get it out and take a look. Maybe that will help!

Kim

That first attempt pic looks great! I wish mine looked like that....:think I have a copy of the Spring 2006 issue, I'll get it out and take a look. Maybe that will help!

Kim

Thanks, HappyBunny! It sounds like after you are pulling up the first loop of the sc, that after you yo, you are only including 1/2 of the loop. I could be wrong. Whether or not I did it correctly, I sc'd around 2 strands (making the loop).

Keep me posted,

Lara

I am so glad to see this post here. I do need to purchase another hairpin lace loom as one of my sides are a bit bent due to being shoved here and there and never taking the first step to try and learn. There are several patterns that I would love to try. I found the tutorial from http://www.sykospark.net/hairpin/ to be most helpful to me.

Grammy, I took a look at this tutorial, and it was helpful. The method she describes about crocheting around the loop is what I'm doing (not through the loop).

However, I don't flip the loom over and over. I've been working it from one side. I took the top bar off and moved the bottom bar up so the pins stay even. Maybe I'm cheating? :blush If I'm doing it wrong, maybe I don't even want to know......

I don't see why you couldn't tape the yarn to the top of the bars?

I edged my lace today. I just need to block it a bit then I can share a picture.

sammimag, are you talking about the guideline yarns? Yes, you can tape them or just tie them onto the top bar.

In an "experiment" I took the top bar off. When it was time to drop stitches from the loom, i just used a piece of yarn to thread through each side (25 loops at a time, and tied them in a bow. This kept them in manageable groups for me.

Think I ruined 2 perfectly good strips because I just dropped them off the loom without separating them in any way. They got all tangled and twisted!!!!

Do you have pictures posted somewhere we could see?

Thanks, HappyBunny! It sounds like after you are pulling up the first loop of the sc, that after you yo, you are only including 1/2 of the loop. I could be wrong. Whether or not I did it correctly, I sc'd around 2 strands (making the loop).

Keep me posted,

Lara

Thanks for the suggestion Lara...I haven't tried yet today but I'll let you know once I get started. I think I know what you're talking about!

Kim

Archived